Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Jeep Wrangler X I6 manual 105K miles

My Jeep looses fuel pressure when sitting for more than a couple hours. I have been turning the key to prime the system before starting but I know it's time to bite the bullet, drop the tank, and replace the pump and regulator. I have been searching for the appropriate complete fuel pump module without success. I found a "bundle" on Amazon with a Bosch pump, Mopar regulator and gasket. Thought I was good until I find ALL the regulators are "unable to ship to your location". Seriously?? Is there something about So Cal and our smog regs that would prohibit this part?
Would love suggestions on where to find parts that can be shipped to my area. Or a complete module that could be shipped.
Thank you
J

P.S. I do want to give a shout out to all those that help on this forum. Information is power. Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
2002 Jeep Wrangler X I6 manual 105K miles

My Jeep looses fuel pressure when sitting for more than a couple hours. I have been turning the key to prime the system before starting but I know it's time to bite the bullet, drop the tank, and replace the pump and regulator. I have been searching for the appropriate complete fuel pump module without success. I found a "bundle" on Amazon with a Bosch pump, Mopar regulator and gasket. Thought I was good until I find ALL the regulators are "unable to ship to your location". Seriously?? Is there something about So Cal and our smog regs that would prohibit this part?
Would love suggestions on where to find parts that can be shipped to my area. Or a complete module that could be shipped.
Thank you
J

P.S. I do want to give a shout out to all those that help on this forum. Information is power. Thank you for sharing.
The complete assemblies produce by Bosch are no longer available for Jeeps up to 2002, Delphi produces a module that is compatible and is showing to be reliable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for replies. I like the idea of the DELPHI module if reliable.
It looks like it has a gasket attached or do I also need: More Information for MOPAR 52018808 (rockauto.com) (gasket) ?
Description states "High capacity synthetic mesh inlet filter is able to filter out all items larger than 30 microns", but lower there is direction to "Replace Fuel Filter or Fuel Strainer". Do I need to purchase: More Information for MOPAR 4798301 (rockauto.com) (filter) and/or More Information for DELPHI FS0112 (rockauto.com) (strainer) ?

Lastly is there any other components I should address when I drop the tank? Not a small job for me and would REALLY like to only do it once. :)

J

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Thank you for replies. I like the idea of the DELPHI module if reliable.
It looks like it has a gasket attached or do I also need: More Information for MOPAR 52018808 (rockauto.com) (gasket) ?
Description states "High capacity synthetic mesh inlet filter is able to filter out all items larger than 30 microns", but lower there is direction to "Replace Fuel Filter or Fuel Strainer". Do I need to purchase: More Information for MOPAR 4798301 (rockauto.com) (filter) and/or More Information for DELPHI FS0112 (rockauto.com) (strainer) ?

Lastly is there any other components I should address when I drop the tank? Not a small job for me and would REALLY like to only do it once. :)

J
The assembly is ready to drop in, no other accessories required. It does help to have a set of replacement fuel tank straps handy unless yours are clean and rust free. If you can source (borrow) a motorcycle jack it makes the process a breeze. Also, some use strap wrenches and other devices to remove the large plastic ring nut on the pump but I have used a soft scrap of lumber and a hammer to gently tap the ring loose and I'm 4 for 4 so far.

Reactions: tzukows

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I am greasy, dirty and a little sore from the odd positions required to do this job... But I am overjoyed to let you all know my little Jeep is running great with it's shiny new fuel filter/pump/regulator! Took me 2.5 hours which included a little figuring things out and a couple times I had to grab my sister to assist with a couple tasks that did better with 4 hands. I put a little gas in it and the fuel gauge moved so I am taking that as a good sign. Now just have to wait a few hours and try to start to see if it holds fuel pressure.

Thank you again for the help and a little hand holding. For 150$ for the fuel module and some elbow grease I think I am good to go. Much happier than if I had spent the 510-640$ mechanics were quoting!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts