Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 88 Sahara for about a year and a half and I've struggled with a couple of fuel related issues. The one that occurs most frequently is a collapsed fuel line. The occures at the radius between the fuel pump and the hard line that goes under the oil pan. I've replaced the line multiple times and tried different arcs, but the vacuum from the pump with suck it shut normally about once or twice a week. I disconnect the line and hear the suction released, and I'm back on the road. The other problem is vapor lock. I'm pretty sure this is mainly because the line run from the frame rails, up as close to the exhaust manifold as the engineers could get them, and then back down. I can't let it idle for vary long without it vapor locking.

I seem to have more trouble with both of these than what I see in the forums, so I wanted to see if anyone had these issues. My plan right now is to run an electric pump instead, rerun the lines away from the manifold, and replace all the lines with steel braded from the tank forward. I like to stay old school, so if there are any tricks you guys are using, please let me know.

Thanks for any thoughts,

John

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
That seems odd if you have a good line. Maybe you have a blockage in the tank, piece of crap or something that gets sucked up against the pickup.....seems you have a restriction somewhere.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought when it first happened. I put in all new rubber lines and blew out the hard lines. It happens right at the bend of the rubber line just before the fuel pump. It has enough of a bend that it already flattens out a little. I've tried a few different angles and lengths, but nothing has worked. I'll drop the tank and check all of that again. Hopefully it is that simple.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
try putting a piece of metal tubing where the bend is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts