Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What fuel door do you like best? Since my JK didn't come with one and I live here in the DC area I am going to have to install one. I see a host of OEM and aftermarket choices. I could also go with a Jeep locking gas cap:) One of the fuel doors sold at Jeep BBQ in flat black looks pretty sweet.

·
Registered
33,932 Posts
I like the Jeep one in black! And for the locking cap that uses our fob key from the dealer. So now you don't have to keep a extra key with you!

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
What fuel door do you like best? Since my JK didn't come with one and I live here in the DC area I am going to have to install one. I see a host of OEM and aftermarket choices. I could also go with a Jeep locking gas cap:) One of the fuel doors sold at Jeep BBQ in flat black looks pretty sweet.
Why do you "have" to install one?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Been here in the D. C. Area since 84 and never had a problem. That said however, I got one for my 2007 because i liked the looks. i think it was the mopar one from quadratech.
All pretty much the same. went on in a snap. had to remove the rear tail light to do it.

You are right, there are a bunch. Fuel Doors and Hatches - Quadratec

cass

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I have the Mopar door and locking gas cap on our 10 Rubi. I like both. There are a lot of choices but I happen to like Mopar.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Why do you "have" to install one?

Being from a major metro city myself, its probably because of ....hmmmm, how shall I put this nicely?? Less than upstanding citizens who have nothing better to do than mess with an unlocked gas cap on a nice Jeep. Sad but reality.:nonono:

Its one of the first things I bought for my 12.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Being from a major metro city myself, its probably because of ....hmmmm, how shall I put this nicely?? Less than upstanding citizens who have nothing better to do than mess with an unlocked gas cap on a nice Jeep. Sad but reality.:nonono:

Its one of the first things I bought for my 12.
And the door, locking or not, will prevent that how?

·
Registered
33,932 Posts
The door stop all kinds of stuff from filling up around your gas cap when you go off road! Trust me! Mud, Branches and so on!

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
I've been through it all and it's never been an issue.
Much of our snow is wet. It partially melts when the sun hits. Refreezes at night. I know that fuel filler 'hole' would fill up with solid ice! I've had to chip ice to open doors, free windshield whippers, and to open fuel door on too many occasions. I'll pay 100 bucks to avoid having to chip it out! Jeep is not garaged... consider the fuel door a mini-garage.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have the Mopar fuel door. I think it's worth the extra money compared to the other aftermarket fuel doors since it looks factory.

·
4,666 Posts
I have the Mopar fuel door. I think it's worth the extra money compared to the other aftermarket fuel doors since it looks factory.
Yep, if you get a factory option package that includes a fuel door, like a 'Mopar black package,' that's the one you'll get.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I just installed Mopar door today and ran into an unexpected problem. There's a little hole in the jeep body on the left side of the fuel opening and a little pin that sticks off the left inside edge of the fuel hole filler. The pin (kinda) lines up with the hole in the body. I'm guessing that the pin is intended to keep the fuel door assembly from rotating. The pin and the hole didn't line up real well on my 2012 JKU. I checked the factory installed fuel hole filler and it looks like it may originally have had a pin but it's been broken off. I ended up using the Dremel to extend the hole about 1/4" further left. Once I did that, everything fit perfectly. And yes, I painted the exposed metal before I reassembled.
Has this always been a problem, or has Jeep just done something new that makes it a 2012-only problem? Or have I just done something stupid and dremeled new sheetmetal for naught?

·
4,666 Posts
I just installed Mopar door today and ran into an unexpected problem. There's a little hole in the jeep body on the left side of the fuel opening and a little pin that sticks off the left inside edge of the fuel hole filler. The pin (kinda) lines up with the hole in the body. I'm guessing that the pin is intended to keep the fuel door assembly from rotating. The pin and the hole didn't line up real well on my 2012 JKU. I checked the factory installed fuel hole filler and it looks like it may originally have had a pin but it's been broken off. I ended up using the Dremel to extend the hole about 1/4" further left. Once I did that, everything fit perfectly. And yes, I painted the exposed metal before I reassembled.
Has this always been a problem, or has Jeep just done something new that makes it a 2012-only problem? Or have I just done something stupid and dremeled new sheetmetal for naught?
Mine lined up OK.

And, you painted the exposed metal, the fuel door fits perfectly, and ya' can't see it. It's a Jeep, you'll be drilling more holes soon enough! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I went to my dealer and the black Mopar fuel door was $84 installed. It just took them a few minutes to do the install. Ebay seems rather high when you have to install yourself.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
The Mopar door fit our 12 without issues. Well, other than two of the screw holes not lining up exactly.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
I have read that there is a difference between the fuel doors for the 2 door and 4 door. IRC it has something to do with a tab.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts