Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks back I was out muddling and tore the evap Canister off. I found one at an auto wreckers and replaced it. Now I have an issue with the pump clicking off after a few seconds repeatedly. I suspected it might be a faulty Evap canister so i crawled under the jeep and removed the vent line from the filler cap to the evap canister. Same filling issue at the pump. Next I removed the tank to the evap canister vent hose at the canister and still the same results at the fill station. I cannot see or feel any kinks or tears in any of the hoses. Im lost as to what to check or do next

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Are you talking about when you're filling up at the gas station?

I haven't replaced or damaged anything but I experience this issue at some pumps.

I think the angle of the tank combined with the speed of the pump can cause it to cut off.

I usually just fill it up more slowly by not pulling the pump lever all the way in and then it works better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, im talking about when i fuel up at the pumps. I have tried change the angle of the fuel fill nozzel, how far its in the filler tube, how fast I fill im filling the tank and combinations there of. If I go super slow i can usually get two or three seconds before its shuts the pump off.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
I believe there is a filler vent hose, there was a recall some time back that some owners were having a burping issue at the pump causing the petrol to spill out. I'm wondering if that's been clogged causing your issue.

·
Commercial Member
1,045 Posts
That's bizarre. I don't see how the evap canister would make any difference. I would look at lot closer at the fill line to see if it got kinked at the same time as your canister being damaged.

I've had some gas pumps do similar things. I would try other gas stations as well. good luck.
Actually, I guess it's not that bizarre and I spoke too soon. After googling it, it seems to be a problem on many cars with the charcoal getting soaked or the vent line getting clogged, etc..

Removing the vent line at the fuel tube, I would suspect that cancels out the chances of it being the evap canister.

Sorry, not much help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts