Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the fuel filter on a 2004 TJ with the 4.0 motor? Is there one? :surrender:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,003 Posts
Yep the fuel filter was purposely designed with a positively huge surface area so it doesn't have to be changed as part of routine maintenance. It is considered a lifetime part, so much so you have to drop the gas tank to even get to it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
Yep the fuel filter was purposely designed with a positively huge surface area so it doesn't have to be changed as part of routine maintenance. It is considered a lifetime part, so much so you have to drop the gas tank to even get to it.
How many miles would recommend before its changed?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,003 Posts
How many miles would recommend before its changed?
Again never, unless you live in a 3rd world country whose gas pumps don't filter the fuel. Once again, the factory designed it to be a lifetime filter. If it needed regular changing, the factory would not have mounted it inside the gas tank.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have definitely heard of people changing them though. But don't worry about it unless you have problems that you know that's the source of.:thumb:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
Again never, unless you live in a 3rd world country whose gas pumps don't filter the fuel. Once again, the factory designed it to be a lifetime filter. If it needed regular changing, the factory would not have mounted it inside the gas tank.
Cool thanks!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,003 Posts
I have definitely heard of people changing them though.
Yes but usually only in a misguided attempt to fix a problem not caused by the fuel filter. Many of us grew up in times when the old inline glass fuel filters did need regular cleaning/changing so with some, old habits die hard. Many hang onto those old habits so "change the fuel filter" is the advice given by many who don't realize today's filters are usually lifetime and don't need routine changing.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I didn't know there wasn't one you could change. This is the only vehicle I've ever owned that has it in the tank. My GMC Z71, my S10, my Cobalt and the wifes Alero all have one that you can swap out.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,003 Posts
Just a little more info, the fuel filter is not replaceable by itself, it is contained inside the fuel pressure regulator. If you want to replace the fuel pressure regulator, you have to do so by replacing the fuel pressure regulator which I am holding in my hand in the below photo. The old FPR I am replacing can be seen on top of the gas tank.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts