Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys know where and how many fuel filters are on my 1989 YJ (4.2 6 cylinder, carb)? My Jeep idles rough and I like to start by replacing the filter and work from there on….

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Do you guys know where and how many fuel filters are on my 1989 YJ (4.2 6 cylinder, carb)? My Jeep idles rough and I like to start by replacing the filter and work from there on….
Chances are you're due for a tune-up, but if you just want to replace your fuel filter on an 89 4.2 it's located in front of the carb It's easy to replace. Just take off the lines and install the new one. You might want to replace the rubber fuel lines also; 3 short pieces that can easily be matched up. The original ones tend to crack and you'll get a fuel odor coming from the engine compartment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I first changed the fuel filter and hoses on our 90-Sahara, I noticed a little check valve inserted in the smaller return hose... when I tried to remove it from the hose, it broke

The valve looked like it was originally a... 'spring-loaded-ball-bearing-thingy'
Anyone else ever encounter one of these?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chances are you're due for a tune-up, but if you just want to replace your fuel filter on an 89 4.2 it's located in front of the carb It's easy to replace. Just take off the lines and install the new one. You might want to replace the rubber fuel lines also; 3 short pieces that can easily be matched up. The original ones tend to crack and you'll get a fuel odor coming from the engine compartment.
Actually it's a little more complicated. The problem only seems to occur after I get off highways, it tries to die on me. This morning, I got off a local expressway and then slowed down to turn and it died on me. Couple of cranks later, it started back up, sputtered and would not stay running unless I rev it above 1200 RPM.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
When I first changed the fuel filter and hoses on our 90-Sahara, I noticed a little check valve inserted in the smaller return hose... when I tried to remove it from the hose, it broke

The valve looked like it was originally a... 'spring-loaded-ball-bearing-thingy'
Anyone else ever encounter one of these?
Yes, that's supposed to be in there. But, I'm sure there are a lot running without it.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Actually it's a little more complicated. The problem only seems to occur after I get off highways, it tries to die on me. This morning, I got off a local expressway and then slowed down to turn and it died on me. Couple of cranks later, it started back up, sputtered and would not stay running unless I rev it above 1200 RPM.
Sounds like a carb problem. Search nutter bypass for additional info. or you could have yours rebuilt. I would first do a major tune up and clean the carb. real well with carb & choke cleaner. Then see how it's running. Make sure your timing is correct also.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, problem solved!!!! I changed the rubber hose and the filters. The Jeep runs perfect (well almost).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts