Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok always wanted a jeep and finally got one. It's a 91 in great shape, however, I decided to put some fuel in since the gauge read 1/2 tank. It took about 15 gallons, and the needle pointed way past the full mark. the needle never seems to want to read much lower then 1/2 a tank. since I am pretty sure that the tank is not 30 gallons, I wondered if it was an easy repair (have lots of basic repair experiance), or if it was a gauge problem... any thoughts would be great.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I believe that was one of the years that they were using a 20 gal. tank with a long filler hose that would only allow 15 gals into the tank. That was cheaper than making all new tanks for those years. It was actually sold as a 15 gal tank. The previous owner probably found that out, and shortened the filler hose to allow full use of the 20 gal tank. The gauge was meant to show full at 15 gals. So in short, unless it bothers you, I wouldn't worry to much about it. If it does bother you, take a full 5gal tank of gas with you, and run your main tank till it runs out of gas. Notice what the gauge reads at this point, and then you will know when you are out of gas. Now put in the 5 gals of gas, that you have in reserve, to get to a gas station.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see. great idea! Thanks. It doesn't bother me, just that I didn't want to take the chance of not knowing where the guage stopped working, and when I actually ran out of gas :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bluvikng... your article was awesome! thanks so much. I was concerned because my guage would still read just under 1/2 a tank yet I was still putting in 14 gallans at the pump. I figured the gauge was wrong. I am going to drive it till it stops this time and see. It sounds like it could be working all along :) yeh!

·
Registered
51 Posts
my 94 runs out at an 1/8th tank dont know if this helps or not but its not fun to find out when your not expecting it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts