Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey how are you guys doing, I was wondering if any of you have had the problem were when your fuel gauge reads half way your tank is really empty and when its full its reads past the f. Im thinking its the sending unit but I was wondering if any one has had this problem before. Thanks

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Mine always goes really far past the f, but mine will hit E at the right amount of miles I should be getting out of my tank.

It could be the sending unit, or the bobber inside the tank is getting stuck....kinda doubt that though

·
Registered
19,285 Posts
my gauge is off too. Things it's the nature of it. Goes half of a tank to negative E quick

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
On my 89 with the 20 gal. tank it goes past the full mark but then goes down the way it should.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Drop the tank remove and check out the unit. Rusty/jammed/cracking/not moving smoothly..Its not a big deal ta do. Like 5 bolts on each side of the tank hold it up. Check the wires and such too. Mine was funny till i dropped the tank for new shackles. Now iz all good. (be sure you really dont have alot of gas so not to make your job harder with a heavy tank! Goodluck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 94 Wrangler had collasped the tank because of a plugged line to the fuel cannister..it read 1/4 when it would run out. Had to take the tank out, laid it in the sun and it went back to normal. Also had to straighten out the fuel pickup tube because when the bottom of the tank sucked up, it bent it. No, the skid plate had not been hit or bent. On my 92, the sender in the tank went bad. It would read empty to 1/8 at any given time. 20 gallon tanks are somewhat more difficult to remove because of their width. With the fuel inlet hoses off, the neck would hit the frame and the skid plate was up against the exhaust. I drop the whole unit with the tank still in the skid plate...:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
mine does the same too it is empty at 1/4 to 1/3. Ran out out of gas when I first got now i just fill up by the odometer

·
Registered
102 Posts
my gauge is off too. Things it's the nature of it. Goes half of a tank to negative E quick
Mine sits at full for half the tank and then drops like a rock. I don't trust it as far a I could throw the Jeep.

·
Registered
127 Posts
How many miles do you guys(girls) get on your 4cyls???? Only had my 1990 YJ for about a month. What gas mileage? I got stock with 31's BFG all terrain.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a 95YJ 4 banger and I get 330 miles to a tank, after the tank mod, before I did the tank mod I only got 179 miles to a tank, the gas gage worked fine before the mod, now it goe's past full and stays there for over 150 miles and then drops as normal, and I don't have 5th gear, ("C" clip) I get an average of 16.8 miles to the gallon, running at 55-60 mh.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I would clean the contacts and connectors for the gauges first. this took mine from 1/2 tank = 220 miles = empty very soon, to 1/4 = 220 miles, not sure where the bottom is.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I would start with the gauge and connectors, if for no other reason than they are way easier. Better to try the easy stuff first then try the hard stuff just to find out it could have been cheaper and easier.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
Another option could be the next time you have your tank out (like that happens a lot...) bend the bar on the float arm a little bit. Its friday, so I'm just thinking weekend right now, but if you play with it, it should make sense which way to bend it. After that it could be the sensor or sending unit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts