Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
If they are old, just replace them. Especially if you are talking about taking them off to clean them. I've replaced two now, next time one fails I'll upgrade all of them to a newer style with a better spray pattern. Lots of threads and reading on the upgrade between here and JF, I haven't decided exactly which ones I'll go with, but I guess it's only a matter of time. As far as gas tank additives, who knows. For every good review, there is another saying it's BS. If you want help on the replacing part, let me know.

·
Registered
500 Posts
chemtool b12 and seafoam. Lucas oil also has a cleaner, learned of it from a buddy who swears it got his truck running better. I personally like chemtool and seafoam.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I dig the Lucas cleaner

·
Knows a couple things...
49,624 Posts
What makes you think your fuel injectors are dirty? With today's gasoline formulations, all octanes mind you, they all (!) contain enough fuel injector cleaning additives to keep your injectors clean... really.

I'm old enough to remember clogged fuel injectors when gasolines did not contain or didn't contain enough fuel injector cleaning additives. We did have to add fuel injector cleaner additives to the tank on a regular basis and I did that myself for years. But clogged/dirty injectors are pretty much a thing of the past & I haven't had to buy an aftermarket cleaning additive in many (20+) years now.

Incidentally, the EPA mandated back in 1986 or so that all gasoline manufactuers start including enough fuel cleaning detergents in all grades of gasoline to keep the fuel & injector system clean.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Not meaning to hijack just a side question, Jerry Is there somewhere i can look into the strength of the detergents of different gasoline brands?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,624 Posts
Not meaning to hijack just a side question, Jerry Is there somewhere i can look into the strength of the detergents of different gasoline brands?
Not that I'm aware of. I can only say that I haven't heard of any major gasoline brands that didn't have enough as the EPA has mandated.

Incidentally, I used to have a bunch of new car & truck dealers as customers years ago. I used to BS with the mechanics once in a while, imagine that :D, and I asked most of them if they had ever seen a truly clogged/dirty fuel injector. The older mechanics all said they hadn't seen one in years and the younger guys had never seen one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts