Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The jeep sputtered and lurched a few times on the way to work yesterday followed by the check engine light. The light would switch between solid and flashing.

Now the idle is rough and I can smell fuel when sitting at a light. The error code was p0201 and says something about the #1 injector. Anyone else have any experience with this?

2003 4.0 I6

·
Knows a couple things...
49,391 Posts
Don't buy a new injector yet, swap that injector with another and see if the problem follows the injector or stays at the #1 cylinder. Only replace it if the problem follows it to its new location.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't buy a new injector yet, swap that injector with another and see if the problem follows the injector or stays at the #1 cylinder. Only replace it if the problem follows it to its new location.
Great idea! I'll post some follow up soon. I was planning on doing plugs today anyway so I'm starting there.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,391 Posts
You may want to pick up some injector o-rings when you're at the auto parts store so you can replace the o-ring on the injectors you move if need be. You may not need to but...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't have a chance to check the injector yesterday and had to drive the Jeep to work today. Now the exhaust is coming out a white cloud and actually spitting out liquid unburned fuel.

This seems bad.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I did some more searching in the forums and the smoke may be coming from the can of sea foam I put in the tank, although it doesn't explain the overwhelming gas odor. jeep is still sputtering. Changing the injector tonight when I get home. Thanks for the I ring advise Mr Bransford.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need help!!

I changed my #1 fuel injector and I changed all of my plugs. The #1 spark plug was totally black with carbon and the rest looked to be perfectly fine.

I started up the jeep and my huge cloud of white smoke is back barreling out of the exhaust and if I hold my hand in it it gets covered in wet fuel.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Just a guess if plug and injector was replaced I would check the coil pack. How dunno. Just what I would do. Vague idea just better than keeping it to myself.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a guess if plug and injector was replaced I would check the coil pack. How dunno. Just what I would do. Vague idea just better than keeping it to myself.
That was my next choice. At least the injector and spark plug change was really easy and straight forward. I just can't stand it when the jeep is running so rough.

·
Registered
672 Posts
You need to be concerned about protecting your catalytic converter. That much raw fuel could damage it.

You need to check the wires to going to the #1 injector. If it is shorted to ground it could be squirting continuous.

Someone correct me on that. I am used to cars where the PCM provides a ground for the injectors.

Correction, I just checked the wiring diagram. It looks like a common ground and the PCM sends voltage to the injector.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So what would you suggest as my next course of action? It seems like the smoke and fuel has subsided but the car is still sputtering and hesitating on the highway. The check engine light also has not gone off.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
First suggestion change one thing at a time so any change is easier to identify

Use good suggestions like when a previous poster advised you to do adjacent swap then see if trouble code miss remains where it was or changes to new cylinder with the swap

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Happiest man alive!!!!!!

So I did some more reading after finishing my exhaust today and I decided to try checking the connections on my PCM/ECM. All I did was unplug the three large plugs on the passenger side of the firewall and plug them back in and BOOM,
My Jeep is fixed. No smoke, no misfire... Running better than it's ever run before.

What a huge stress relief!!!!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Happiest man alive!!!!!! So I did some more reading after finishing my exhaust today and I decided to try checking the connections on my PCM/ECM. All I did was unplug the three large plugs on the passenger side of the firewall and plug them back in and BOOM, My Jeep is fixed. No smoke, no misfire... Running better than it's ever run before. What a huge stress relief!!!!
Awesome man! Thanks for the update. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been having the same gremlin in my TJ. P0201 code. #1 injector. Replaced injector, nothing. Check power at connector. Seems OK. Unplugged plugs at PCM (actually took out PCM, took apart, put back together) replaced plugs. Problem solved! For 15 minutes.

Anyone know how to check if the PCM board is bad. Hate to pop for $325 and problem not go away.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Went to a buddies house. We removed the negative from the battery. Pulled the PCM connectors. Cleaned them with electrical connector cleaner spray.
Looked at schematic of the PCM connectors (there are three). On the PCM connector we located the female receptacle of the ground wire of the #1 injector. Tested it for continuity. Tested fine.

Plugged everything up, connected battery. Check-engine-light was off. Jeep ran great. Brand new, even. Drove around for 20 minutes @ 11 pm in 60 degree temps. Ran great.
Let sit for 5 minutes to kind of "cook" without the cooling system running. (I think this is significant.) Started motor. CEL came on. Jeep ran rough.

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
My home solution to decide where the problem is

1) swap injectors 1 and 2 see if problem cel moves with injector and if it does not

2) run a new temporary injector harness to injector one wire from battery and other wire from PCM. The PCM plugs come apart and you can get a similar wire from any similar year Chrysler PCM plug at you pull it.
If you do pop plug open first take good pics as multiple wires may accidentally pull free of the plug.

If neither make code for injector one stop setting all you have left is PCP

1 - 20 of 21 Posts