Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi.
I need help with fixing a fuel leak in my cj.
its a 360 v8, the guy that sold it to me put on a electric fuel pump, and its leaking from what I think is the original fuel pump.

its leaking from a hole on the side of the thing that I circled in the direction of the arrow.
it kind of drips out onto the motor and if I tap the hole with my finger a bunch more gas comes out.

can I just somehow bypass the original fuel pump?

if I can, if I need to plug the holes where the hoses plug into the pump now, how would I do that?

or is there some sort of block off plate that I could buy to just take off the pump completely?

what do you all suggest?

heres the electric pump and a couple more of the other one

as you can tell in still learning.

thanks in advance,
-Matt

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
bypass the mechanical pump or replace the mechanical pump and remove the electric pump.I think if you remove the mechanical pump they make covers to cover up the holes.

·
Registered
529 Posts
bypass the mechanical pump or replace the mechanical pump and remove the electric pump.I think if you remove the mechanical pump they make covers to cover up the holes.
x2
try Jegs or Summit racing for the fuel pump blockoff plate if that is the route you go, personally I would just get a new mechanical pump and do away with the electric.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
It has a carb and doesn't need the electric pump untill you really are making some real hp.:)

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
ya it's low psi but a good electric pump can flow more and is used alot on high hp carb set ups. That doesn't look like a really good pump.It's fine for that engien but I would remove it and replace the mechanical pump.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
X100 on ditching the electric. That's the funkiest set up I have seen. You ususally bypass the mechanical if you go electric. Also, if you intend to keep the electric, IMO you should add a regulator in-line and a safety shutoff switch.

I'm not a big fan of electric fuel pumps unless they are setup properly. They should be installed with a safety cutout in case you get into an accident or roll it. They ususally just stay on and pour gas onto the engine.

I'd get a new mechanical pump. Engine shuts off, the gas shuts off..nice and safe and it will last 100K miles and they are cheap.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I agree, with a carb the electic motor is not needed, and was probably put on there because the mechanical pump was sucking air, and not getting enough fuel. Looks like a cheap repair, for an easy replacement.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
look here for a good mechanical pump.
http://www.summitracing.com/

Or you could put a blown hemi with efi in your cj and fix all your problems.:D

·
Registered
2,228 Posts

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I agree with replacing the mechanical pump and doing away with the electric, but if you really want to keep the electric pump you can make your own block off plate really easy. Just trace the shape of the mechanical pump, cut it out of a chunk of steel, drill a couple of holes for the bolts, and your done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts