Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Have you had a fuel line issue with the Unlimited?

• Yes, mulitiple times

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, sometimes

• No, Never

• Don't know

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a late 2011 Wrangler Unlimited that only has 6000 miles on it. Two days ago, I drove through water run-off on the road at 20mph. Even though there was not much depth (no more than 1inch), it caused a good spray. Right after that, the car slowed down and hesitated. After that I could not get the car to get past 30 mph or the revs above 2000. I took the car into the Jeep dealership and they told me that the force of the water spray had kinked the fuel line! I was very surprised. Isn't this what a Jeep is made for? Off-roading, driving in adverse conditions, driving at inclines, etc. The tech told me that he has seen this problem a few times. I could understand a Prius getting into trouble but a Jeep?? To add insult to injury, they charged me $47 to replace the line.

My question is - is this common? Has anyone else had this problem? Is this not considered a manufacturing design defect? When I googled this problem, I was alarmed at one post about a Jeep Unlimited catching fire on the highway due to a broken fuel line. The car was completely burned in 45 seconds!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the same issue with my '13 rubicon. I got under the jeep, the line was kinked and stuffed way up on top of the tranny. I straightened out the line and secured it with some nylon straps. . Anyway, It has been good since. I think that this is poor design on jeeps part.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
yes it does seem silly.

as for the fires, you would be hard pressed to find a vehicle that has never caught fire on the highway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my 2013 jeep wrangler two weeks ago and I had the same thing happen to it today... but mine stalled out and i wasn't able to start it back up. I got it towed to the nearest dealership and they just called me and told me it was a kinked fuel line. The puddle i hit was 1-2 inches deep and i went through it at 25 mph. How can jeeps be "trail rated" with such a poor design like this? Dont get me wrong i love the jeep but i traded in a 2001 subaru outback and i know i could have hit that puddle much faster with it without any problems.. Its scary when you have to get your brand new vehicle towed. I hope i have better luck with it..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts