Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have to replace my fuel line for my 97 Wrangler and no dice at the delearship or so far online. Anyone know of anyplace that I get a fuel line? The quick disconnect is corroded and thats where it leaking. So I have to replace all the way from the fuel rail to the tank.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Yes your Jeep became old over night. Welcome to the world of "Classic Cars"

There are several "All Jeep" junk yards and my favorite, Car-Parts.com

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, its looking like I have to have this line custom made. I can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
russell 651111 (60$ at summit) will get from fuel rail to the frame, from there you go steel and the tube to the tank should still be available.

or dorman 800-074 tubing and 800-080 connectors. will do from rail to frame and might do whole thing........i wouldn't use plastic if you off road...but it'll work in a pinch.

if you go that route don't bother with the cheap fitting tool........a brake/fuel tube flaring clamp works great too.
i can elaborate if you go that way.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
You absolutely do not need to replace the entire fuel line for a bad quick connect.
All you need is a quick connect repair kit

·
Registered
50 Posts
russell 651111 (60$ at summit) will get from fuel rail to the frame, from there you go steel and the tube to the tank should still be available.

or dorman 800-074 tubing and 800-080 connectors. will do from rail to frame and might do whole thing........i wouldn't use plastic if you off road...but it'll work in a pinch.

if you go that route don't bother with the cheap fitting tool........a brake/fuel tube flaring clamp works great too.
i can elaborate if you go that way.
I would guess I have the same issue. I unfortunately can't drop the tank myself because lack of tools, but there is a gasoline stain at the skid plate of my 2003 sahara plus bad smell.. which I have for weeks. since few days I've also trouble starting the engine and I have to wait 10 seconds after turning the key (hear pump running) before I can start without problems.

So it sounds to me like a leak in the hose or at the mentioned connector. Would you guys agree based on the known facts?

I live on a small island in Thailand where they have no clue about jeep, and there is no jeep dealership in thailand. I always order replacement parts on amazon.com via UPS. For obvious things I always prefer to buy the part first and take it to the repair shop so that they exactly know what to do, while I stand beside them and watch.. of course they mostly don't speak any english either .. so it's always good to show the replacement piece ;-)

So before the thai mechanic rips the tank out and I've no car for 1-2 weeks, should I go ahead and buy the hose+connector? Is it the same for 2002/2003 TJ? I would have preferred to go with the steel one, but unfortunately amazon doesn't ship those to thailand.. just the dorman parts. And I'm quite sure they don't have those "special" connectors in Thailand.

Thanks a lot
Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I figured I should also order the Dorman 800-023, because shipping is $100 anyways. Any other small parts that can break my neck when dropping the tank to replace the clamp at the pump?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
my 04 has a flexible line from the fuel rail down to the frame (that's what the russell part replaced), then it changes to a steel line down the length of the frame, then it goes back to a flexible line at the rear wheel well.

the 800-023 clip does look like the clip for the fitting that connects to the steel line in that back section of flex hose.
but i'm unsure of whats beyond that. i didn't have to mess with that end, sorry

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
pic of the top of the tank plumbing and the pump inlet tube.
i think the pump might be a -6AN push lock. the 5/16 tube should work. just need that connector to the steel line. bet dorman has it.

#2 line is what i assume you need.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Sounds to me like you need to buy a $50 set of tools

·
Registered
50 Posts
sounds like I better go with 52100167AB and the 800-023 clips. Unfortunately on amazon nobody sells that one with international shipping, but found a dealer on ebay (via their global shipping & customs clearance program - otherwise everything gets stuck in customs)

the curse of owning a jeep in a country where nobody owns a jeep .. probably because for example the 2019 jeep wrangler tj (2 door) costs whopping $134,000 over here :crazy:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
the 800-080 connectors fit the fuel rail and i'm pretty sure they will fit the pump end as well. that 800-074 tubing is not the best choice but could be run the whole way. just zip tie it up tight to the existing lines along the frame.

·
Registered
50 Posts
the 800-080 connectors fit the fuel rail and i'm pretty sure they will fit the pump end as well. that 800-074 tubing is not the best choice but could be run the whole way. just zip tie it up tight to the existing lines along the frame.
so better go with the 800-080 and 800-074 then (which I can easy retrieve via amazon), instead of the 52100167AB, because it's basically the same (and much cheaper too)?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E35WHO (set of two already)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E323IA (better options?)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMXTVYO (sould be same as dorman 800-023 but not available via international shipping)

anything else which may break while replacing the hose, and is worth replacing while the tank is down? As mentioned the shipping is more expensive than the parts anyways :rolleyes:

thanks a lot
michael

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
yes 1st link looks correct 5/16 nylon to steel, that should hook to the fuel rail as well as the fuel pump.

2nd link is correct, but you need to get from the top of the engine back to the tank so 10ft might not be enough, 15 at least or 20 should give you extra.

i looked around some more and found these too. dorman 800-122 or 800-123 connector.
you could also get these and then you should be able to replicate the last section from the steel to the pump, if that's all you need. then 10ft would be plenty of tube.

this is the piece your replicating. an 800-080 the tube and an 800-122 or 123 (i didn't see a straight).
https://www.4wd.com/p/jeep-fuel-line-bundles/23350

i'm no fuel line expert just trying to help you piece it back together.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've finally found a great youtube video showing all the hoses and connectors at the tank in great detail
https://youtu.be/tknuA_au1dI?t=114

I only need the short 52100167AB between the steel line and the pump (which you also shared the link to)

While on amazon.com it's not available for international shipping, I've just found and ordered it on ebay.com - which also offers an international shipping program. It's slower (non UPS) and a bit more expensive than amazon's shipping, but better than building it myself and end up with wrong plugs or other unpredictable trouble.

Thanks a lot for your help :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts