Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 wrangler sahara 4.0 and thought my fuel pump was bad so I replaced it but now when I turn the key to the on position without starting the engine it will prime or run continually.. If I start the jeep it will run until it gets warm then blows the fuel pump 20a mini fuse.. Could I be missing something simple? I just purchased the jeep and had put over 200 miles on it before I had any issues.. Thanks

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Possible fuel pump relay stuck? Could try swapping it out with one of the others in the under hood box.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,391 Posts
So the fuel pump shuts off when you pull the ASD or Fuel Pump relays? It should shut off if either is pulled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes sir. It shuts off when I pull the relay out but I still have voltage on both sides of the slots where the relay plugs in.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
...but I still have voltage on both sides of the slots where the relay plugs in.
That's normal with the key in RUN or START. The PCM controls the fuel pump relay via the ground side of the circuit. It might be worthwhile to check for a short between the relay and the PCM. However, that would not explain the fuse blowing.

With the key in RUN, does your fuel gauge read correctly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes the fuel gauge seems to read correct. I've checked all the wiring to the best of my ability and just shipped the PCM out today to see if it's bad because I couldn't find one around my area. I'll post whether it ended up being the prob or not when I get it back in a week. Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm probably missing something simple that would've been an easy cheap fix then. If the PCM doesn't fix the problem when I get back then it's going to a pro!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts