Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My jeep starts hard and after replacing numerous electrical parts it may come down to the fuel pump. If I wait for the chimes to end then it starts up easier, so it's whatever the part is that keeps the fuel from draining back into the tank. Is that and the fuel pump one in the same if I bought a new one?

What brand is good without breaking the bank?

Also, is there a fuel filter that I should change if I'm going this far? If so, part number?

Thx

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
In my experience of handling this slow start after it has sat overnight multiple times, it has always been fixed only by the fuel pump. I would avoid Airtex and Spectra, those brands don't last long at all. Same with the junk sold by stores like Autozone. And don't mis take their "lifetime warranty" as an indication of quality, it's not.

This is the one I would go for... Amazon.com: Bosch 67655 Original Equipment Replacement Electric Fuel Pump: Automotive which will fit your '97. That also includes a new fuel filter which is located inside the fuel pressure regulator which is also included.

By the way, your engine is a 4.0L, not a 4.1L. :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Exactly same problem fixed last month with a Bosch fuel pump.

Amazed how quick cold start is now, and zero issues with hot.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Exactly what I was looking for.

Jerry, where did I write "4.1L" as I'd like to fix it if I did.

Nat, any tips since you did it so recently?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
Thanks guys. Exactly what I was looking for.

Jerry, where did I write "4.1L" as I'd like to fix it if I did.

Nat, any tips since you did it so recently?
It's in your Profile a couple times at T'sTJ's Jeep Profile :: 1997 Jeep Wrangler

Two tips for changing your gas tank... get your tank as empty as possible, and make sure to get the white nylon lock ring started properly when buttoning up the job, that is what holds the pump in place, and make sure it's good and tight. A big strap wrench is a big help for that. I've done this job multiple times but still managed to not get it quite tight enough once and gas was leaking out through the seal.

You can see the lock ring here...

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an adjustable oil filter wrench, almost a ratchet type, will that do to get it tight enough?

Fixed the 4.1 mistake, not sure why I would have done that, but thanks for catching it.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
I have never seen any automotive oil filter wrench that was big enough for the fuel pump lock ring.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Digger, I'll pick one up, looks like a great tool to grab the kids with too, so it'll be put to good use afterward. Mine is like this.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
Yep I wasn't thinking of that type of filter wrench but that particular one still appears to be too small for the fuel pump lock ring.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Vatreefarmer, I'll call and make sure t's the right one and that it comes with the same parts. Also, the roller looks different, if this isn't a stock image, and may be the new improved model.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks Vatreefarmer, I'll call and make sure t's the right one and that it comes with the same parts. Also, the roller looks different, if this isn't a stock image, and may be the new improved model.
Rock Auto says it is for my 97. If by chance my tank is a "15" gallon, I'll do the conversion mod to 19 gal while I have the tank off. I also ordered both strainers for another $3

·
Registered
368 Posts
Jerry,
What have you found to be the life expectancy on the factory pump? I have an 02 with 65k on it and I'm adding the Savvy/Currie aluminum fuel tank skid soon. I hate to replace working parts on my Jeep but if it's going to die in 20,000 miles I may install a new pump while I have the tank out. Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts