Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still having my drivability problem with the Jeep violently bucking/shaking/cutting out when anything more than just a little bit of throttle is applied. I've tested almost every sensor I have. I'm convinced it's either in the fuel system or the ECM. I hate throwing parts at something without fully diagnosing it, but I'm really starting to get frustrated.
Dry gas and fuel system cleaner hasn't yielded a thing, and in addition to the drivability, now the fuel gauge has become slow to respond when I put gas in the tank. I still need to check my ground for the fuel sending unit, but at 130,00 miles, I'm thinking I'll just replace it. I really don't want to spend $400 on a hunch though, so I logged onto e-bay (I know, I know) and found a brand new sending unit with pump from Martin's Auto Parts for $72. I also found a salvage yard selling a used OEM assembly with 93,000 miles on it for $84.
Just looking for a group opinion on which sending unit to purchase.

I also figured that while I'm playing with my fuel system, and to cover all my bases, I would upgrade my injectors to the Bosch 4-holes and was wondering what people's experience with those injectors were.

The way I look at it, if I have a new sending unit, pump, filter, injectors, and a cleaned out fuel rail and I still have the drivability problem, well... I'll know it wasn't the fuel system! :atomic:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
140 views and not one opinion! ugh... Well, I decided a cheap new sending unit would still be better than a used OEM one. Ordered a new assembly.
I'm still curious as to anyone's experience with Bosch 4-hole injectors though. I have a set on the way, so if this goes another 140 views without response then I guess I'll let you guys know how they work out once I install everything! ;)

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Since no one is chiming in on this one, it may be worth it to have a mechanic do a diagnostic on your jeep. Let the machine tell you what the problem is.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was a mechanic for about 6 years. I work at a dealer as a service advisor now, so I had one of our techs check it out as well. Without getting into too much detail, I'm afraid the "machine" isn't telling us what's wrong. We've narrowed it down to either the fuel sending unit, ECM, or a bad ground for one of those two things. I'm pretty sure it's in the fuel system. At 130K on the clock, I wouldn't mind a new fuel filter anyway, so like I said, new sender and upgraded injectors it is! I'll also check the ground for the sending unit while I'm replacing it.

·
Registered
741 Posts
140 views and not one opinion! ugh... Well, I decided a cheap new sending unit would still be better than a used OEM one. Ordered a new assembly.
I'm still curious as to anyone's experience with Bosch 4-hole injectors though. I have a set on the way, so if this goes another 140 views without response then I guess I'll let you guys know how they work out once I install everything! ;)
I installed a set of Bosch 4-hole injectors on my 95 YJ 4 banger and was well pleased.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts