Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably has been beatin to death, but i have to cut one. long story bought a 94 (several issues) but fix them as I get them.
But know its the fuel pump. owner or owners before me weldered a 1/2" L channel on the rear bumper and i cant get to the tank bolts. Ive went to several shops and no one wants to remove it. So that only leave me with the access panel option. So the only safest way I can think of with the tank still in place: Is to fill tank full (less fumes) add soaking wet towel over the tank (thank the lord for a 3" suspension lift) and use a rotary tool to cut the panel. I plan on going this route, but am i missing something (no safe way but trying to be safe as nuch as possible) without :atomic: up

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I'd go pick up an angle grinder and cut the stupid bumper off

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Distant second choice would be to unbolt and jack up the body

·
Super Moderator
10,471 Posts
I'd go pick up an angle grinder and cut the stupid bumper off
This is your best bet. Sure, it'll take time but it's better than having sparks from the angle grinder melt through the poly tank. Have a garden hose ready and a fire extinguisher.

If you refuse to attempt to cut the bumper off and are dead set on cutting an access panel, use a panel cutter and a sheet metal cutting blade rather than a angle grinder. Look at where the spot welds are on the cargo area floor and try to not cut through the floor supports.

Good Luck, L.M..

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you must cut the access panel, borrow or go get a welders blanket from a welding shop and carefully work it in over the top of the fuel tank. Anything you can do for safety when cutting near the tank is well worth the cost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts