Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, At this point I am confused. I am in the middle of my build on my "87" YJ, where I will be installing the 4.6L motor from an "01" Mustang GT. I took the sending unit out of the tank to see what it is that I have. What I do have is a plastic tank, that looks to be no more than 15Gal, with a sending unit only, no pump. The sending/pick up unit is rectangular with a rubber gasket and it has about 10 screws that hold it in place.

Everything that I am looking up keeps telling me that this year should have had a metal tank and all of the pick up units have a round top with a locking ring. Is anyone familiar with what I have and what year or model it might be from?

With the new motor I need to use a high pressure fuel pump and it is recommended that it is located in the tank, but I can also mount one right outside the tank as well. Just trying to decide what way to go. If I go in the tank then I need to identify what the unit is that I have and if I can get one with the pump that I need. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
787 Posts
you have the typical YJ fuel tank...if it's 15 gal. you can easily convert it to 20 gal by removing the vent hose in the filler nozzle....it's a plastic tank with a rectangular pump and sending unit...the round cylinder on the sending unit is the pump....don't hold me to it, but i think i read on here that you can get a direct replacement, higher pressure pump..

·
Registered
551 Posts
It sounds like you've got a '91+ tank that has had the fuel pump removed from the sending unit so it could be used with a carbed engine. You may be able to get a fuel pump/sending unit assembly for a '91-'95 4.0L if it has a high enough output for a 4.6. '91+ tanks are all 20 gal., but some have an extended vent tube to limit them to 15 gal. that can easily be modified to hold a full 20 gal.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The plastic tank that I have has the "2/087 month/year" imprinted on it, so without question it is from an 87 and I would not think that it was replaced the same year the jeep was new. It could be, but not likley. Also the sending unit has one long tube from top to bottom, that is not removable from the unit. At the bottom it has a screen and no place to add a pump. It is just very strange that no auto store or the dealer shows the plastic tank or the rectangular sending unit as an option. I did find one rectangular unit, but was with a non removable pump. Any idea's?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts