Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I was filling it up and squeezed in as much as possible. I noticed the gauge went farther past full than normal.
Some days later the wife ran it out of gas, the gauge was showing 1/2 tank.
Ideas?
Also, I’m now resetting my trip every fill-up and start hunting for a gas station when it gets to 200 miles. I wasn’t sure of the issue and ran it out of gas again the next week, again the gauge showed 1/2 tank. I now carry a small can of gas but haven’t pushed it since.
I’m running 3.07’s with 265x65 18’s (with adapters/spacers that came on the Jeep, I’m working on that).
Driving beside the wife on the way home from picking it up I saw that I am about 10 MPH off on the speedometer (shows 50 doing 60).
Can anyone convert that to about how many miles per tank I’m really getting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
445 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I was filling it up and squeezed in as much as possible. I noticed the gauge went farther past full than normal.
Some days later the wife ran it out of gas, the gauge was showing 1/2 tank.
Ideas?
Also, I’m now resetting my trip every fill-up and start hunting for a gas station when it gets to 200 miles. I wasn’t sure of the issue and ran it out of gas again the next week, again the gauge showed 1/2 tank. I now carry a small can of gas but haven’t pushed it since.
I’m running 3.07’s with 265x65 18’s (with adapters/spacers that came on the Jeep, I’m working on that).
Driving beside the wife on the way home from picking it up I saw that I am about 10 MPH off on the speedometer (shows 50 doing 60).
Can anyone convert that to about how many miles per tank I’m really getting?

Assuming everything else is stock, and the speedo gear ratio hasn't been changed, it looks like you should be getting 240 miles at the 200 mark on the clock. (20% difference.)

-

You can't go by the gauge until you find the problem. Sender, gauge, etc., which has nothing to do with your actual mpg.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If your speedometer is off because of the tires, then your odometer and trip meter will be off, too. If you're doing 60 while your speedo is showing 50, there's a 20% difference across the board, like Tophog said. If you're going almost 240 miles between fill ups and you've got a 15 gallon tank...well, that's pushing it at 15 or 16 mpg.

As for the fuel gauge, it might be a stuck float or a bad sender. That's the good news. The bad news is you'll have to drop the tank to fix it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
if you have the plastic tank then my guess is the small tray on the inside of the tank is warped and not letting the float go all the way down. Someone showed a fix on here to straighten that out but I just popped mine out and it corrected the issue without creating another one but either way you will need to drop the tank and open the top up.

·
Registered
889 Posts
That tray has caused me problems, but not the kind usually posted about. I had to replace the plastic tank on my 88. The tray was long gone on my 88. The replacement has the tray and for some reason it restricts access to about the last 3 gallons in the tanks. The level of the liquid doesn’t get over the top of the plastic tray or something. If I feel like dropping the tank again I’ll probably take it out completely. I never had problems on my old tank without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
889 Posts
That tray has caused me problems, but not the kind usually posted about. I had to replace the plastic tank on my 88. The tray was long gone on my 88. The replacement has the tray and for some reason it restricts access to about the last 3 gallons in the tanks. The level of the liquid doesn’t get over the top of the plastic tray or something. If I feel like dropping the tank again I’ll probably take it out completely. I never had problems on my old tank without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The exact same thing just happened with my fuel gauge...when u fill up it goes way past full and at a 1/2 tank I only have 4 gallons....i don't have the plastic bowl in my tank, removed it. IIRC there is a small adjustment screw on the sending unit for the guage...i think it has either come loose or is stripped...i am going to wait till spring to drip my tank and fix it and while it's out I am going to swap rear wiring harness to a harness for a HT

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Gas guage seems to be fixed....had a concrete gutter splash pad in the back forgot about and went across speed bump a little faster than probably should...a thud in the back and the guage works just like it did before for now....we shall see how long it lasts.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What’s weird is, 2 tanks ago it seemed to be reading right with my estimate of my trip odometer.
This tank, it’s halfway through the mileage guesstimate and still showing full.
I dunno...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts