Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of removing the gas tank of my 91. Everything was going smoothly until one of the rear bolt decide to become a hamster wheel. :banghead:

How do I get it out in a safe manner? How do I fix the bolt? Is there a specific bolt or part to get? I do not have a welder or specialty tools.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Cut it off. Take one that came out as an example to the hardware store and match it. All my hardware was all rusted and I just replaced them all.

There is nothing magic about getting the bolt out. Small due grinder and cutting wheel or vise grips and a hacksaw.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bad-news-everyone.jpg

The gas tank is broken. It has a crack and it leaks very quickly out of it. Does anyone knows if Cherokees have the same gas tanks? Here is a pic of the stuff that was on the skid plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
What about keeping the bolt in place? is there a washer to keep it from spinning?
It is a stove bolt, with something similar to the "internal shakeproof" listed on the following page:
British Tools & Fasteners - WASHERS

That "internal shakeproof" sits right up against the bottom side of the metal and may not be easy to discern due to the buildup you might have in the area.

What I am saying is that after you grind the nut off you may need to punch out the bolt stem to get it to release.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link. Well, I ordered a new tank, skid plate, sending unit with pump, ems valves, filler and vent hoses. There goes the money for the winch. :nonono:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I pulled mine that was leaking at the gasket last weekend. I got around to detaching the tank from the skid plate today. While I have the plastic tank that doesn't corrode, the gunk between tank and plate looked exactly like yours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts