Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is had I have going on I own a 90 with a 4.2 has a new fuel pump and fuel is barely getting in the fuel filter it's like barely squirting in the fuel filter is almost bone dry and looks to be struggling getting fuel in ( I have a clear fuel filter ) what are some suggestions on what to check ? I have a video of it but seems I can't upload it

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Maybe sucking air from a leak/crack/pinhole somewhere between the pump and tank. May be pinched/blocked tank vent line.

Empty tank?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe sucking air from a leak/crack/pinhole somewhere between the pump and tank. May be pinched/blocked tank vent line. Empty tank?
does it all the time even on full tank I'm thinking faulty fuel pump, bad fuel pump in sending unit or clogged sock filter on sending unit ?

·
Super Moderator
12,715 Posts
If you have a compressor, you might consider (while the Jeep is outside), removing the gas cap and putting 5-10 lbs of pressure to the metal line that feeds the fuel pump. If you hear bubbling in the tank, do the same thing with the front metal line while it is disconnected from the fuel filter.

Look along the entire length of your fuel line for wet areas, from the gas tank to the fuel pump. You may have to drop your tank to examine the rubber fitting that connects the fuel line to the sending unit/fuel pick up.

It is possible that even a brand new part can be defective.

I don't think there is a fuel pump in the gas tank of 1990 models. Mine is an '87 and it has only the fuel pump on the passenger side of the motor block. The parts catalog doesn't even show a sock in the tank.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
A stock carb'd 90 4.2 has the fuel pump on the passenger side of the block like L.M. mentioned. In the fuel tank is the sending unit. Attached to the fuel pick up is a mesh screen. Sometimes they will be clogged which can cause a problem, but most times there's another issue such as a collapsed fuel line or a defective fuel pump. If you're sure that the fuel pump was installed properly check the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump. If all of that checks out and you're sure it's not the fuel pump you're going to have to inspect the interior of the tank/sending unit pick up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts