Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 93 2.5 has sat for probably 2 weeks with this new ethanol shit gas that is at the gas stations now and when I drove it yesterday it started fine and ran fine but when I went to start it again it wasn't having it started sputtering and would try to die when I gave it throttle could the ethanol on the gas be the problem since it sat for so long this is what I've been told any help would be nice

·
Registered
958 Posts
E85? I was told your fuel system needed to be upgraded to accept it. Stainless steel fuel lines. No clue if that's true. But I'm guessing yes. That could be the issue. I'd siphon it out and dump some fresh stuff in if you're worried.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ethanol can cause condensation in the fuel lines and water in the tank.

·
Registered
44 Posts
E85 is hard on the rubber in older fuel lines. Most importantly ethanol has 30 % fewer BTU's which means it should be 30% cheaper. I would suggest a bit of Sea Foam in the tank.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
If it's E85 it should not have been used. Vehicles are specifically engineered for E85 use which is also identified on the gas caps. In my area you can only get E10 and there are no issues with my 89 or any other vehicle. What did it indicate on the pump? Some areas use E15 also.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My 93 2.5 has sat for probably 2 weeks with this new ethanol shit gas that is at the gas stations now and when I drove it yesterday it started fine and ran fine but when I went to start it again it wasn't having it started sputtering and would try to die when I gave it throttle could the ethanol on the gas be the problem since it sat for so long this is what I've been told any help would be nice
I did not see any mention of E85. There is no way your gas went bad in 2 weeks. Don't get me wrong, this new gas SUCKS but it's not your gas. That said condensation as others have said could been sucked up into your fuel line. That will cause sputtering and in my case a lot of back firing. A lot of dry gas helped my issue but isn't that just more alcohol?

·
Registered
186 Posts
The E85 you do have to upgrade your whole fuel system. Causes major condensation and the rubber lines don't like it for some reason. On our older vehicles it is pointless to get. It burns quicker and the extra couple cents you think you saved at the pump you will lose a crap load of MPGs and now you didn't save any money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts