Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading on DIY full door hanging options I want to ask a question. We bought a few heavy duty shelf brackets from Home Depot rated at 500lb for another project. My question is, would it be safe enough to use 2 brackets for both doors? I want to say yes but I'm also the cautious one that doesn't want to damage the doors. They are off about 5-6 months of the year.

Thanx in advance

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think it should work as long as you make sure there screwed to the wall really well...

I made this rolling rack so i can move them around... I have to much stuff on the wall to hang then. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it should work as long as you make sure there screwed to the wall really well...

I made this rolling rack so i can move them around... I have to much stuff on the wall to hang then. LOL
I saw the 5/8 metal screws into studs. Would there be anything else other than heavy duty wall anchors?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Here is how I installed mine, opted to mount a 2x6 on the wall then mount the brackets into that. Plus it gives a bit more space with the doors at the 90 degree bend. I keep meaning to cut off the ends past the foam and reuse the caps but just never get around to it.
http://i.imgur.com/43wO8lDl.jpg

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is how I installed mine, opted to mount a 2x6 on the wall then mount the brackets into that. Plus it gives a bit more space with the doors at the 90 degree bend. I keep meaning to cut off the ends past the foam and reuse the caps but just never get around to it.
http://i.imgur.com/43wO8lDl.jpg
What weight rated J hooks did you use? Most of what we've seen at Home Depot are 50 lbs.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
What weight rated J hooks did you use? Most of what we've seen at Home Depot are 50 lbs.
This is what I used, they are rated for 75lbs, I spread them across the 3 hangers for a bit more support and security. I also used heavier duty lag bolts then the ones that came with the hangers. The front doors are reported by a fellow member to weight 62.5 lbs, he put them on scale so I figured I'm covered.

Everbilt Heavy Duty Double-Arm Padded Hanger in Gray-18044 - The Home Depot

·
Registered
467 Posts
This is what I used, they are rated for 75lbs, I spread them across the 3 hangers for a bit more support and security. I also used heavier duty lag bolts then the ones that came with the hangers. The front doors are reported by a fellow member to weight 62.5 lbs, he put them on scale so I figured I'm covered.

Everbilt Heavy Duty Double-Arm Padded Hanger in Gray-18044 - The Home Depot

I used the same hangers for HD. I also used lag bolts instead of the supplied hardware. I pinned up a 2 x 12 cut to 55in in length hung it from the studs in 3 places with lag bolts and washers. I cut a pool noodle to give a bit of extra cushion.

Attachments

Reactions: Y-Guy

·
Registered
507 Posts
I prefer having a narrow shelf supporting the bottom with hooks above. The shelf supports the doors, hooks are just there to keep them from tipping forward.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I prefer having a narrow shelf supporting the bottom with hooks above. The shelf supports the doors, hooks are just there to keep them from tipping forward.
My husband and I are going to put bottom hooks so they don't slide and bring down the hooks. We really like skinny pedal hangers, but because he went out of business, we're trying to find an alternative.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts