Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm redoing some doors for a coworker's Jeep and the post with the spring on the bottom of the vents is not attached to the glass frame. Every other vehicle I've worked on has the post part of the frame so the spring helps hold tension on the frame & keep it in position. I'm guessing these have broken. I've been trying to find pictures online of a disassembled vent window but not having any luck. Does anyone have any disassembled pics or can confirm that the stud should be attached to the window frame?

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
yeah they rust off and i dont think there are any replacements available but i could be wrong. I had it happen on CJ7 doors and looked for replacments and could not find any.

·
Registered
13,914 Posts
Some phots here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some phots here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That guy says that the stud is just a pivot for the vent window and he does not appear to attach the stud to the window frame which I don’t think is correct. That spring would not have a purpose if the stud is supposed to be fixed and the vent window frame is supposed to pivot on it.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
55,014 Posts
That guy says that the stud is just a pivot for the vent window and he does not appear to attach the stud to the window frame which I don’t think is correct. That spring would not have a purpose if the stud is supposed to be fixed and the vent window frame is supposed to pivot on it.
Welcome to the a Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Here you go Pushnfords. Make your post. Could do it out of stainless for a more permanent fix.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Duh. Should have read through all the post.

Here‘s another door rebuild how to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Duh. Should have read through all the post.

Here‘s another door rebuild how to.
lol I'd seen that one too. Just did the crack fix & welded up the hoop seam on the first door like he showed actually. But he doesn't show the vent window disassembled. In the previous post that you posted the guy did a nice job of fabricating the post but seemed to say it is a fixed pivot vs a welded part of the glass frame. I don't think that is correct. If it was a fixed pivot there would be no need for the spring. Usually that spring provides the tension to hold the vent window in position if you have it partially open. With the stud/post fixed there isn't much holding the vent window in position. I just wanted to find a picture to 100% confirm this & to show the owner since the replacement vent assemblies are so expensive. I might see if there is enough of the frame left to take the glass out & weld it up but I'm not sure how successful I'll be at getting it apart.

·
Registered
797 Posts
When you get it apart please post some pictures and what you find to fix the wind wing window. I have some full doors I picked up that look to be welded but the wind wing windows have no tension. They just flop about. So I figure when I take the doors apart to strip, paint and rebuild I’ll need to address the wind wing windows. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When you get it apart please post some pictures and what you find to fix the wind wing window. I have some full doors I picked up that look to be welded but the wind wing windows have no tension. They just flop about. So I figure when I take the doors apart to strip, paint and rebuild I’ll need to address the wid wing windows. Thanks.
Looks like the only way to fix the ones I'm working on would be to remove the glass from the frame, sand blast the frame, fabricate a new post, then weld the post to the frame before painting, reinstalling the glass, & replacing the rubber seal. I'm not sure I could get the glass out without breaking. Honestly after looking it over the better route would probably be a new vent window assembly for $250 on eBay. For a budget build I might try to fix it but not if I'm charging someone by the hour to do it. I talked to the owner & he doesn't really use the vent windows. They may end up glued shut with windshield urethane.....

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
This thread might be helpful

·
Super Moderator
10,631 Posts
Looks like the only way to fix the ones I'm working on would be to remove the glass from the frame, sand blast the frame, fabricate a new post, then weld the post to the frame before painting, reinstalling the glass, & replacing the rubber seal. I'm not sure I could get the glass out without breaking. Honestly after looking it over the better route would probably be a new vent window assembly for $250 on eBay. For a budget build I might try to fix it but not if I'm charging someone by the hour to do it. I talked to the owner & he doesn't really use the vent windows. They may end up glued shut with windshield urethane.....
The glass comes out easy enough if you carefully heat the frame with a plumbers propane torch all the way around (it takes a while to get the entire frame hot enough to soften the tape that holds the glass in place), then pull on the glass with a gloved hand. The tape may still be available from specialty places like Eastwood or a local glass company may have some.

I agree, if I were doing that job for myself, I'd simply make a new pivot out of a stainless bolt. If I were doing it for a customer, I'd compare the cost of about 4 hours labor vs. the cost of a replacement window assembly. Even then, I'd consider my liability to repair it for free if something else broke and the customer thought it was something I didn't do correctly.

If I were to glue the window shut, I'd simply put a tiny bead of clear silicone all the way around and clamp it overnight. You never know when a customer might change their mind and say "Go ahead and replace the vent window assembly with a new part". Then the old vent assembly could be sold to a hobbyist to play with. Parts for these old heaps are becoming more and more difficult to find and someone might be glad to buy the old vent assembly just for the glass.

Good luck, L.M.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The owner (a friend & coworker) bought these doors for his '95 YJ which is white. I told him just painting the doors wouldn't match but he just wanted a cheap job. So I repaired the cracks behind the vent windows, welded up the holes on the inside above the door panels, & welded the windshield frame to the door skin. Painted them, cleaned the latches, then reassembled with new seals. Except for the vent windows. I didn't want to take the chance of breaking the glass & he said he never uses them so didn't really want to buy new rubber seals & certainly not new assemblies. So the vent windows went back in "as is". He added a little foam tape so they seal & that is as far as he is going to go with it.
Moore YJ 07.JPG
Moore YJ 08.JPG
Moore YJ 12.JPG

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wonder if anybody ever done like the old VW bugs,,? Remove the vent and get a piece of glass that fills the whole space so its a 1 piece window?? "California Look" I'd love to get rid of the vent window.. Never use it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wonder if anybody ever done like the old VW bugs,,? Remove the vent and get a piece of glass that fills the whole space so its a 1 piece window?? "California Look" I'd love to get rid of the vent window.. Never use it.
They have that as an aftermarket kit for the '67-72 Chevy trucks. I thought I saw a post that there was a factory Jeep option like that but I'm not sure where I saw it now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts