Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have an 03 TJ with full doors. Can't get them to come off, they open and close easily but can't take them off. Got all four nuts off. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
My first guess is to give it a good tug? Just watch out you don't damage the paint.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I tried doing the same thing today and could not get them off either, got home from work and was going to post the same question, but you beat me to it. :rolleyes:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
Spray the hinge pins with something like Liquid Wrench, PB-Blaster, BreakFree, etc. (not WD-40 which is not a good penetrant) and give it some time to work into the hinge. Then start swinging the doors in-out as you lift up on them. They can be real snug if you've never lubricated or greased the hinge pin.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
I doubt this is a good idea but I'll share anyway.

Would it possible to use a floor jack and something soft to push up on the door just enough to break it loose?

Like I said. Prob a bad idea just thinking outside the box. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
mine did the exact same thing. i soaked them with PB buster. then after about ten minutes i started walking the doors back and forth while i lifted on the door close to the hinges and they slowly worked up. after i got mine off i cover the pins with grease and now have to problem getting them loose. hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I doubt this is a good idea but I'll share anyway.

Would it possible to use a floor jack and something soft to push up on the door just enough to break it loose?

Like I said. Prob a bad idea just thinking outside the box. :)
yeah its been done, a floor jack and a 2x4 running the entire length of the door bottom..

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
I certainly would not advise using a floor jack, too much chance of that tweaking the door hinges, tub, or doors. Swing the door back & forth after getting some lube like Break Free or Liquid Wrench inside the door hinges and they'll come off.

·
Registered
213 Posts
75K miles and the doors had never been off.

I used a floor jack and a chunk of 2x4 vertical directly on the lower hinge bolt (I slipped a small quarter sized piece of aluminum scrap between the 2x4 and hinge to prevent the hinge pin from sinking in the 2x4).
Applied enough pressure to raise the body about an inch and then swung the door back and forth, popped off in about 5 minutes each side. I did spray some penetrating oil on first and let it work for a while.

Good luck.

Vince

·
Registered
839 Posts
well if they keep given u all trouble just let me know if u wana get rid of them!

·
I'm not lost
1,974 Posts
Spray the hinge pins with something like Liquid Wrench, PB-Blaster, BreakFree, etc. (not WD-40 which is not a good penetrant) and give it some time to work into the hinge. Then start swinging the doors in-out as you lift up on them. They can be real snug if you've never lubricated or greased the hinge pin.

This is how I got mine off. Didn't even have to ask the husband for help :)

just work them back and forth as lifting after spraying.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I went overbored.
I took the tork bolts off the door while the door is closed.
Didnt chip the paint. Wigled the hing back and forth while upward pressure till they came off then rebolted the torx, then remooved the door.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
Wd-40 is a degreaser I spray my door hinges with remington rem oil its got teflon in it I use it on everything now even though its for guns:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good Luck, I have a 2000 TJ with extremely rusty hinges. Tried everything to get doors off. Finaly removed as many Torx screw as possible, about half. the other half had to be drilled out. Replaced hinges with SS hinges.
I then put the old hinge in a press and it took over 5000 lbs to push pin out, that, why I say good luck.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
I then put the old hinge in a press and it took over 5000 lbs to push pin out, that, why I say good luck.
The hinge pin is not supposed to come out of its half of the door hinge, no wonder it took 5K lbs. of force to get it out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got it this morning, took forever. had to sand the door pins down cause of all the rust and build up. They have never been off since it was made till today. Like to kill me but its done now. Thanks all.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Got it this morning, took forever. had to sand the door pins down cause of all the rust and build up. They have never been off since it was made till today. Like to kill me but its done now. Thanks all.
:thumb: Yep I got mine off today to used some PB Blaster and a little force and they came off now I need some mirror mounts and I'm ready for summer

1 - 20 of 20 Posts