Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to order a '14 Unlimited Willys Wheeler - SO excited. I live in beautiful Colorado and definitely look forward to having full metal doors & hard top on October-March and half metal doors & soft top on April-Sept. Best suggestion on what to order initially? (I'd love to get it all right up front, finance everything, etc., but don't yet know what options the dealer will give me.) Thanks for feedback!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I'm about to order a '14 Unlimited Willys Wheeler - SO excited. I live in beautiful Colorado and definitely look forward to having full metal doors & hard top on October-March and half metal doors & soft top on April-Sept. Best suggestion on what to order initially? (I'd love to get it all right up front, finance everything, etc., but don't yet know what options the dealer will give me.) Thanks for feedback!
If you really want the mopar halfdoors order it with half doors getting full doors and hardtop after will be cheaper. If you watch craigslist and take your time it can be done for way cheaper I will have about $2000 grand it to my doors and hardtop painted.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Buy the jeep with half doors. Full doors and hard tops are pretty easy to come by on craigslist. Half doors are next to impossible to find, or you'll have to pay a hell of a lot of money for them.

image-1094096063.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty consistent feedback so far: order w/ half doors and soft top and get full doors and hard top after. That makes sense. I guess I'm still kinda wishing I could get it all up front and roll into the financing.

Anybody do something similar?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Pretty consistent feedback so far: order w/ half doors and soft top and get full doors and hard top after. That makes sense. I guess I'm still kinda wishing I could get it all up front and roll into the financing. Anybody do something similar?
Closest you could get would be to order a dual top Jeep and have the dealer add a set of half doors and uppers to the Jeep as accessories, then you could probably finance the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I went with Full doors and picked up the Mopar half doors on my own. It was expensive, but you can still shop around the different online Mopar parts dealers and ebay to get better prices than going through your dealer who will most likely charge you the MSRP.

·
Registered
991 Posts
ok, I will be the dissenting voice.

Think of this:
Do you prefer hand crank windows and manual locks for the full doors?
If you order factory half doors, its much harder and costlier to add those to the full doors. If you get anything above a base sport, you are paying for those and not getting them.

Are you one of the lucky guys who finds everything on Craigslist?
I am not. My 2010 had factory half doors. The closest crank doors I could find were in a junkyard a 5hour drive away. Cost for both? $1500.
I could find doors with electric windows closer.

Are you ok with adding old junkyard doors on a brand new $30K Jeep?

I really liked my old Rubi except for 3 things, the auto, the 3.8 and I wanted both sets of doors and both tops. I couldn't find a hard top to save my life for 3-4 months. Was going to have to order new. With the cost of the HT and the full doors, I just traded in and got my sport.

I would go dual top group from the factory (if you don't mind the uppers not matching premium top) and add your half doors after the fact. Its easy to add the factory power locks to half doors which to me is nice and only uses 1 fob.

Edit - if you are cool with JUST half doors, order them from the factory. If you want both sets of doors, add the half doors later IMHO.
Edit 2 - if the top matching is that big of a issue for you, get the HT from the factory so its wired. Pick up one of the frameless tops, they are only like $500 new and will match the uppers. Unless you really want to spend over $1K - remember you will still need the hardware. Some say the factory hardware is much better than the aftermarket but I cant validate.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
ok, I will be the dissenting voice.

Think of this:
Do you prefer hand crank windows and manual locks for the full doors?
If you order factory half doors, its much harder and costlier to add those to the full doors. If you get anything above a base sport, you are paying for those and not getting them.

Are you one of the lucky guys who finds everything on Craigslist?
I am not. My 2010 had factory half doors. The closest crank doors I could find were in a junkyard a 5hour drive away. Cost for both? $1500.
I could find doors with electric windows closer.

Are you ok with adding old junkyard doors on a brand new $30K Jeep?

I really liked my old Rubi except for 3 things, the auto, the 3.8 and I wanted both sets of doors and both tops. I couldn't find a hard top to save my life for 3-4 months. Was going to have to order new. With the cost of the HT and the full doors, I just traded in and got my sport.

I would go dual top group from the factory (if you don't mind the uppers not matching premium top) and add your half doors after the fact. Its easy to add the factory power locks to half doors which to me is nice and only uses 1 fob.

Edit - if you are cool with JUST half doors, order them from the factory. If you want both sets of doors, add the half doors later IMHO.
Edit 2 - if the top matching is that big of a issue for you, get the HT from the factory so its wired. Pick up one of the frameless tops, they are only like $500 new and will match the uppers. Unless you really want to spend over $1K - remember you will still need the hardware. Some say the factory hardware is much better than the aftermarket but I cant validate.
All of these are very good things to consider I wasn't really interested power anything thus the reason I don't mind the half doors at all only bought the full doors because I got a really good deal and I wasn't in a hurry. And as far as the wiring on the hardtop I plan on eliminating the rear wiper I doubt I'll hook up the rear defrost either so for me that was not a big deal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
When we ordered our 2011 JKU, we were going to get a Rubicon, but went with the Sport so we could get the half doors. I figured I could get full doors later if I wanted. Now it's almost 4 years later and we're ordering a 2014 with half doors. Never did get the full doors, the half doors were fine in the winter.

·
Registered
991 Posts
When we ordered our 2011 JKU, we were going to get a Rubicon, but went with the Sport so we could get the half doors. I figured I could get full doors later if I wanted. Now it's almost 4 years later and we're ordering a 2014 with half doors. Never did get the full doors, the half doors were fine in the winter.
Just curious, why did you drop to the Sport again? My 2 door JK Rubicon was ordered new with factory half doors (I was the second owner)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just curious, why did you drop to the Sport again? My 2 door JK Rubicon was ordered new with factory half doors (I was the second owner)
Mostly money! Also I didn't notice that half doors were offered on any other models (probably a good thing). We're basically replacing our leaky 2011. With trade and lemon law settlement it's only gonna cost a couple grand.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
as others said, if you want half doors get them first hand when you buy new. while i love my full doors, it is next to impossible to find OEM half doors on craigslist.

I been contemplating on getting some, but they are pretty darn expensive.

myself as well as other always wondered why jeep offers a dual top option but not a dual door option as well... im sure they'd sell quite abit.

either way if your deadset on halfs buy them the first time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts