Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved into a new house that has a carport and a storage room (finally!). I am looking for ways to store my full hard doors since I have them off most of the time. I went out to Home Depot and bought 4 wall hangers that are rated at 50 lbs each. The only problem is the storage closet apparently has hollow walls because I can't seem to find a stud. I put one up on the wall just to see how weak it was and after putting a little bit of weight onto the hanger it got ripped out of the wall. Would I be ok using wall anchors or should I do something else?

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
something else....1st question is it your house or a rental? second do you have an electric drill?

IMO if you use the drill with a very small drill bit along the floor about 3" up the wall you should be able to find a wall stud or 2. After that get a 2"x4" and attach to the studs you have located. This will give you a place to put your hangers.

One more suggestion....only have your wallhangers high enough to get the doors a couple inches of the floor. This will maybe save the paint, and probably the glass if one or both should happen to fall. Also means you won't have to lift them as high to store them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You need to find the studs. Sometimes you can pull off the baseboard or look around light switch or receptacle. Once you do, nail a 2x4 horizontal down the wall so you can put your hooks where you want them.
I want to build a U shaped support to set the bottom of the door in so the weight won't be hanging from the top of the door.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a rental so I don't really mind drilling the wall to find it. I may have to get a stud finder or just try the above methods.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Don't hang them by the window frame either or it will seperate

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the best way to hang them then?

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I used two screw eyes for each door. Put them into the stud the same distance as your hinge pins, then slide hinge pins into screw eyes. Works great and cost just a couple of bucks.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
It is a rental so I don't really mind drilling the wall to find it. I may have to get a stud finder or just try the above methods.
Shouldn't it be the other way around? As a landlord myself comments like this make me cringe. You're going to have to puddy, sand, repaint all those little holes. If it's your own place, it's no big deal.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
buy a thick rubber floor mat and put them on it! Very simple and effective.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Where will they seperate? If this is a problem why are there places that sell and advertise this as a way of storing them?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Shouldn't it be the other way around? As a landlord myself comments like this make me cringe. You're going to have to puddy, sand, repaint all those little holes. If it's your own place, it's no big deal.
I was thinking the same exact thing. This is the mindset of most though... unfortunately.

Either way OP, you'll find studs in there. And like others have said, use a 2x4 for your brace and mount your hangers onto it instead of the drywall.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I originally had my doors hanging from the window frames on a hanger made out of 2x4's. Mine never cracked as many have said and I hung them that way for a couple of years, but never for extremely long periods of time.
After reading all the posts about them breaking I decided that I didn't want to be that guy that it happened to. I just moved the hangers I built to the ground and set them on it instead of hanging them and used a couple of eye screws and a bungee cord to keep them from falling over.
Oh and as far as finding the studs in the wall just measure from the corner of your wall over 16" and you should hit a stud. On most frames the studs are 16" on center. Nothing fancy but here a few pics...

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's a pretty cool idea ruth. I may have to do something similar. As far as the renting comments go it is military housing and I was told holes smaller than 1/4" don't have to be filled prior to move out.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Here's my solution:

image-1585306339.jpg

They're hooks made out of plastic coated steel. Screwed them right into the stud. And my rear windows fit right on top. Total expense: $3

1 - 18 of 18 Posts