Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 2000 tj and i want to do a full service (diff. fluids tranny fluid, transfer case, and engine oil)

what exacly will i need as far as gaskets and filters and how much of each type of fluid will i need? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
376 Posts
A real quick list would be:
- 6 quarts of oil for the motor, and a filter
- for the trans and t-case check out this link...Jeep NV3550 Transmission & NP231 Transfer Case Service no gaskets needed, but you do need a few different fluids
- for the diff's, you need a gasket for each diff cover, and fluid for each differential (I don't remember the amount. Maybe 1.5-2 quarts per). Make sure you get fluid that is compatible with a limited slip differential (if you have one), or you can get additive to put in the oil to make it compatible with the limited slip if needed

It isn't a big job to change all of the fluids, and it's definitely well worth the time. Also, a Haynes manual (or other brand) will come in handy. good luck with it!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Red00Tj said:
and does anyone know what tranny and what t case the 2000 4 cyld. has?
I believe the 2000 4 cylinder had either the ax-5 5 spd manual or the 30rh 3spd auto.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
You guys come up with ways to do it with out dropping the skid or do you always drop it?

·
Registered
376 Posts
does the tranny or t case have a filter kit i can change?
Nope, just pull the plug and change the fluid.
**EDIT** - I might be wrong about the auto trans not having a filter. I've only worked on my ax-15 manual

You guys come up with ways to do it with out dropping the skid or do you always drop it?
I've done it twice and just dropped the skid each time. The t-case drain plug spills into the lower part of the skid (if I remember correctly), so the skid needs to get out of the way or it makes a mess. I thought about threading a bung into the drain plug hole and attaching a hose to the bung so the fluid could be directed into a bucket, but that seemed like too much work to go find the right size bung etc. compared to just dropping the skid.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what kind og fluid do i put inthe tranny? just regular gear oil? keep in mind its stick shift not automatic trans

·
Registered
68 Posts
what kind og fluid do i put inthe tranny? just regular gear oil? keep in mind its stick shift not automatic trans
You can run 10W-30 in the tranny. Some go for Redline tranny fluid as well. When I had my 2000 with a stick, I ran Redline for a while. I went to 10W-30 since it was easier to find locally, not to mention drastically cheaper.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
those skid bolts have a tendency break or the bung in the frame breaks looks. something to think about. i left the skid on and made a flat funnel to channel the fluid out to a drain pan.

worse case scenario it drains out the hole in the skid and you have a pan waiting, and sop up the rest and use brake cleaner to flush the top of the skid clean

Filling the tranny can be a pain, a pump bottle is nice or 5/8" OD tube fits in the fill hole and you funnel it from up high

removing bolts my on TJ is always scary, most are frozen, break or strip

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
i had heard, and its highly debated, about tranny fluid. I called the parts counter at a Jeep dealer and he couldn't even give me a definitive answer. Something about the ratings they give them GL-3, GL-4, and GL-5. (GL=gear lube)

GL-4 supersedes GL-3 meaning all GL-3 requirements are met for its use. (kinda like ATF, if you need ATF 3 you can use ATF 4, but if you need ATF 4 you cant use ATF 3) long story short high sulfur tranny fluid is not to be used, which is what some GL-4, and all GL-5 have in them. The sulfur eats away at the brass synchronizers.

the local parts store even called Penzoil 1-800 about their Pennzoil Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid. Says right on the bottle good for Chrysler brass syncro's. But they told them on the phone it will not work in AX-5, AX-15.

I ended up confused as all hell and went with Redline because of recommendations here and what their descriptions state

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions - MTL 70W80 GL-4 Gear Oil

but i paid about 13.00 a quart for it, and had to order it from a speed shop..i cant see a standard jeep tranny taking only special synthetics but i couldn't guarantee any other thing being right.

search fluids on here and you'll have plenty of reading

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I'm using a penzoil synchromesh in my manual tranny in my 2003 wrangler
That is fine for the NV3550 but not for the AX-5 or AX-15

1 - 15 of 15 Posts