Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1992 YJ 4.0
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a guy locally selling these soft doors but he’s not sure what they fit…looks like YJ doors to me. Can anyone tell by the pics?? Supposed to meet him in the AM.
Window Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Gas
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Car

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
5,349 Posts
Take a 1/2" box end wrench with you to remove nut holding your doors on to test fit. Pay close attention to door latch and striker there are differences.

·
Super Moderator
15,034 Posts
With the rounded corners, they'll be for a hard top. The latches (handles) look like CJ handles, but I don't know for sure. There may be a way to have them work on a YJ
The best way to tell is do as Got it at last says and be ready to remove your current doors and trial fit the soft doors.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
5 Posts
To be frank, my neighbors CJ5 doors dont close that well. I'm not sure if its a soft door thing, or what. I just know I have to re-close the door several times before I get his to latch securely.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
They are not CJ5 doors. CJ5's had a different shaped door opening.

These look like early CJ7 doors like 1976-1978 i think. Before they went to the paddle style handle that all the YJ's had.

The opening on these doors is old and obsolete and look like they wont fit a YJ factory soft top.

·
Los Angeles
1993 Wrangler YJ 4.0
2,507 Posts
I recently had to buy a set of paddle handles because I bought 2 piece doors advertised for YJ. My buddy lived close so he picked them up and I zelled the seller. I get them and 1 was a yj paddle the other was for a cj7 like in your pic.

you can't even change the handles out.
You should pass.

·
Premium Member
9,958 Posts
They may be for a TJ based on the angle of the front of the uppers. Simply put the passenger door he is selling up against your driver side full door and check the angle of the upper against the WS frame. If there is a gap at the top between the WS frame and the door, then they are for a TJ. If there is not gap then they are for a CJ-7 or YJ.

The door openings in the tub have the same profile from CJ-7 through YJ and to the '06 TJ. However, the TJ door sills have a different shape so half doors for a YJ would fit the opening even thought the outer skins of the doors have the same shape. The YJ half doors (and full doors) will fit a CJ-7 even though no CJ-7 ever came with metal half doors. Any you see have had YJ half doors added.

The upper door section between the YJ and TJ have a different profile since the WS on the TJ is laid back more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts