Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do my outer paddle handle on my full steel door is broken and the closing door mechanism is seized ,, any tricks to to moving the door now? I have the inner panel removed but the rods don't seem to budge at all!! Im thinking of removing the handles? Anyone?

·
Registered
57 Posts
When I bought my YJ, the driver's door was jammed. The double claw latch is a monster that oughta be on a bank vault! After much struggling and cursing, I finally got mine off by unscrewing the Phillips screws holding the latch striker "cup" to the body behind the roll bar and the screws holding the front door hinge pins. That allowed me to get the door off the jeep and onto the ground for disassembly. After stripping it down, I was finally able to get it to unlatch. After removing and flushing out the latch assembly, the only thing that I found that could have caused the lockup was a tiny little chunk of nylon that had broken off one of the operating rod end clips. Good luck!

·
Registered
34 Posts
You remember what size torx for door hinge?
I had the same problem in my passenger door. I had to remove the door panel from the inside, the get to the latch. I ended up using a screwdriver to 'pry' the double latches apart... the ones that grab the striker, WHILE moving the mechanism to get it loose.

At first, no love. I kept trying and trying and even debated simply kicking the damn door from the inside until it fell off. Then, like magic, the latch suddenly moved. I have no idea why, but I lubed the crap outta that thing once it was open.

I am buying a new latch...that was frustrating

·
Registered
57 Posts
Door hinge torx is a T40. Get a good one, I bought a cheap set and rounded the T40 off on the first screw. Had to go back for a single T40.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I diagnosed mine to be the lever in the latch bypassing the release lever. I think you may be able to put a flat screw driver in between the back side of the latch and the lever at the bottom and then pull the handle.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems to be pretty tight on the striker ,, I'll try to pry w a screwdriver but the angle and things in the way aren't helping the situation

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you've got the inner door skin off, you can take the inside screws out of the latch cover plate and bend it open to get better access to the latch (once you get the door off, you can bend it back). Even with that access I could remove the actuator rods and still couldn't get it released until I got the door completely off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts