Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed my oil and installed a fumoto oil drain plug. I used the blue washer that came with and I torqued it to the jeep spec of 20 lbs/ft (I believe that is correct). I'm seeing oil leaking from around the plug. Not the valve/spout, but from around the plug itself.

Any ideas? Maybe torqued too much, need different washer, no washer, thread sealer, something else?

I would hate to loose the oil I jut put in it but if need be to correct it then I guess that's the case.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I have a Fumoto valve on my Jeep and my wife's Toyota Highlander. When I installed the valves, I cleaned the threads on the oil pan as best I could, then I coated the threads of the Fumoto valve with high temp silicone. There is no leaking at all from the valves. You could try some teflon tape around the threads too.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Fumoto valve on my Jeep and my wife's Toyota Highlander. When I installed the valves, I cleaned the threads on the oil pan as best I could, then I coated the threads of the Fumoto valve with high temp silicone. There is no leaking at all from the valves. You could try some teflon tape around the threads too.
I seem to remember a post somewhere that noted a guy using Permatax thread sealer on an oil drain valve. I think it was a different brand oil drain valve but shouldn't matter. I'll have to see if I can find it and see if he notes specifically which Permatex thread seal product he used.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I seem to remember a post somewhere that noted a guy using Permatax thread sealer on an oil drain valve. I think it was a different brand oil drain valve but shouldn't matter. I'll have to see if I can find it and see if he notes specifically which Permatex thread seal product he used.
It would probably be this Permatex high temperature thread sealant.

Thread Sealants : Permatex® High Temperature Thread Sealant

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got back under last night and loosened the drain plug valve just enough that I could spin the washer to check it out. Found that the washer appears to be cracked/split.

I was able to squeeze the washer to make the crack come together and then tighten the drain plug valve back and it appears to stop leaking or at least make it very, very minor.

I'm going to get another washer and maybe some Permatex High Temp thread sealer and get it "really" fixed.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sounds like you just need to replace the washer. I have Fumoto valves in the block drain plugs of my 6.0L diesel and have never lost any coolant. I would ask the seller for a replacement washer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts