Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 JKRU with 93k miles - gently off-roaded. It was begining to be a handfull on the highway with bump steer so I decided to go thorugh the whole suspension to get it as close to new as possible. So I replaced all controls arms with lightly used ones off CL (5900 miles); replaced front upper control arm bushings; replaced front wheel bearings; switched from AEV 2 1/2 inch lift to the AEV 3 1/2 inch lift (did the work myself - entirely "by the book") and added the Steer Smarts front track Bar bracket (so the track bar and drag link are virtually parallel) (I also have the XD tie rod too which shows no play) - aligned the front end. The Drag link is a flipped Yeti XD unit - all new - Jeep still "wandered" a bit more than I thought it should, even taking into account the 35 inch KM 2's. Replaced the ball joints today (without disconnecting the steering linkage) and the Jeep is fairly "darty" now. I know I need to get it aligned again, and i also know it takes a few hundred miles to break in the new ball joints but I thought it would be better behaved than it is.

Question to you guys is: Do you think I need adjustable upper C.A.'s to change the Caster to get it to behave better (referring to the steering)? I don't recall others needing to get adjustable CA's after installing an AEV 3 1/2 inch lift.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any advice you can give.

·
Registered
150 Posts
3 1/2 inches of lift definitely requires caster correction. If as shop tells you it doesn't, find another shop.

I can't believe AEV would sell a 3 1/2" lift that doesn't address caster.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I could be wrong but it sounds like a caster issue. You might look into geo correction brackets too. I had a similar issue on mine (3 inch lift) but I did lower adjustable control arms and that did wonders. I did however start having front ds issues after awhile due to the angle caused by the lift so I changed out the front ds to a double cardan and all is well now.

Sent from somewhere in Missouri

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Get a set of Geometry correction brackets and you’ll be fine. Adjustable CAs only correct caster but do not address the Geometry. The brackets allow you address both geometry and caster/pinion angle.
My preference is the Rancho brackets but AEV and a few others also offer them. PS AEVs 4.5” lift kit comes with their Geometry correction brackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to mention that I have the AEV CA drop brackets so I'm good there.

Tire pressure is 29 psi. I'll have to post the alignment info when I get that done. Hopefully this week sometime.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It's possible the original alignment was bad. It happens sometimes. When you get it aligned again you should be able to verify that all the angles are within spec. Your description sounds like either your caster or toe is off. I would also go through the front end and make sure all those suspension bolts are torqued down properly in case anything came loose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts