Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. When I bought my YJ, the tempature guage did not work. After looking at the forum, I found which tempature sensor to change. I did. It worked for one start up. After that, it pegged out. I have changed the thermostat, the radiator cap, the tempature guage, and the same sensor again. According to the Chilton Manual, my water pump and fan seem to be fine. I'm not sure if the engine is running hot as it is not boiling over. It doesn't act like it is hot. It doesn't smell like it is hot. The circuit board doesn't seem to be burned. I am at a loss. Do any of you have an idea? Thank you, in advance.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Iirc the gauge goes up with power and down with ground, so it would be in the ground of the gauge, like rebelbulldawg said. Start there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did not see what year your jeep is , mine is a 1992 and I just worked on my guage, The purple wire is the sender the blue white or white black it is the power and the black it the ground and it a seperate ground. And I just want to make sure the sender you replaced, it the single wire one towards the back of the engine? On sensors that ground on the block, do not use any rtv or tape sealer, will interfere with the ground.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Ground that wire and iit should peg the gauge and tell you the gauge is good. But the gauge panels in the YJ have that crappy foil board which needs to be clean clean clean for a good connection and at the combined plug that goes in the cluster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts