Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 jku sport, rear lsd, front aussie locker, 34" toyo mts, rubicon rock rails. Looking for some place fun to go to make my knuckles a little white and get away for a day. I live in newport and looking for a good trail within 2 to 3 hours of here. Where would you recommend I explore? Looking to go on sunday the 22nd.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
There are a ton of trails in Big Bear. Some easy, some not so much, I'm sure you can find something.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are a ton of trails in Big Bear. Some easy, some not so much, I'm sure you can find something.
Can you be a little more specific? Looking for more of the "not so much" trails vs the easy ones

·
Registered
127 Posts
Cleghorn is always fun. You have everything from a basic fire road to "I'll never do that trail again". Very easy to get to also, right off the 15 freeway. They are closing off part of it, so now is the time to run it if you want to try some of the side trails.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cleghorn is always fun. You have everything from a basic fire road to "I'll never do that trail again". Very easy to get to also, right off the 15 freeway. They are closing off part of it, so now is the time to run it if you want to try some of the side trails.
sweet. thanks. I will check into it! Seems like that might be the closest option

·
Registered
772 Posts
I second that. Cleghorn is fun

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
2013 jku sport, rear lsd, front aussie locker, 34" toyo mts, rubicon rock rails. Looking for some place fun to go to make my knuckles a little white and get away for a day. I live in newport and looking for a good trail within 2 to 3 hours of here. Where would you recommend I explore? Looking to go on sunday the 22nd.
Come on out to murrieta, just as fun as Cleghorn with novice, moderate and hard trails. I'll send you a PM

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
What do you have in murrieta?
Ron,
I was driving through the Ortega hwy. The trails by my house are a combination of fire road, hills and some rocks. Lots of off camber hills and dips. Lots of bushes as these were originally ATV trails. There are some unexplored trails that ai have not hit yet. I have covered about 50% of the area.
Lot of fun out here.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ended up at cleghorn and it was a blast! Ran into a fellow jeeper (12 rubicon, maroon color, long arm kit, beadlocks, 35" km2's, "wayalife" windshield banner... is that a jeeper on this forum in socal??) that invited me to go with him and his buddy (in a silver tacoma). The rubi and I tackled the funner trails off the sides. Glad i was locked up for a few of those obstacles! Thinking of going back on saturday or sunday... anyone game to meet up?

·
Registered
546 Posts
I am a little late to the party as you were looking for the 22nd and already done Cleghorn but Big bear has everything from mild to wild...and some in between...holcomb valley for the meek and like a history lesson while out with family that doesnt like the hard stuff. Jacoby Canyon is mild but nice trail also if the wife is not too thrilled about getting crazy. Horsethief canyon has some tricky spots but fun. Gold mountain used to be a mild trail and I will call it medium now due to the water falls/step ups that have arisin over the years, Little john bull steps it up a little more. John Bull proper even more, Dish pan even more and so on...I am up there quite often when i am in town (work sucks). Bee Canyon outside of Hemet is ok with mostly fire roads with a couple of decent spots thrown in..nice trail to take the wife out and enjoy the outdoors...grab lunch at the deli in Idylwild and then Thomas mountain for more nice easy trails with great views..Truck haven out by the Salton Sea/ Borrego springs PLENTY of fun out there...in regards to Murrieta the Wildomar off hwy park will scratch the crap out of your jeep..I blasted my sides out there a couple of weeks ago..some I cant buff out :(...Tank55 can vouge for that...Up behind Clinton Keith road we have about 1000 acres of open land that is fun to get out and play. If you want a nice trail with a view there is Main Divide trail off of Ortega/Blue Jay campground that goes up to the top of Saddleback mountain...killer views of OC. That trail is closed sometimes so hit or miss if you can do that one....LOTS of trails within the time span that you are looking at..pm me if you want to get out and check things out..I have a few friends that have Jeeps and want to get out all the time and you are welcome to tag along
Cameron

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I am a little late to the party as you were looking for the 22nd and already done Cleghorn but Big bear has everything from mild to wild...and some in between...holcomb valley for the meek and like a history lesson while out with family that doesnt like the hard stuff. Jacoby Canyon is mild but nice trail also if the wife is not too thrilled about getting crazy. Horsethief canyon has some tricky spots but fun. Gold mountain used to be a mild trail and I will call it medium now due to the water falls/step ups that have arisin over the years, Little john bull steps it up a little more. John Bull proper even more, Dish pan even more and so on...I am up there quite often when i am in town (work sucks). Bee Canyon outside of Hemet is ok with mostly fire roads with a couple of decent spots thrown in..nice trail to take the wife out and enjoy the outdoors...grab lunch at the deli in Idylwild and then Thomas mountain for more nice easy trails with great views..Truck haven out by the Salton Sea/ Borrego springs PLENTY of fun out there...in regards to Murrieta the Wildomar off hwy park will scratch the crap out of your jeep..I blasted my sides out there a couple of weeks ago..some I cant buff out :(...Tank55 can vouge for that...Up behind Clinton Keith road we have about 1000 acres of open land that is fun to get out and play. If you want a nice trail with a view there is Main Divide trail off of Ortega/Blue Jay campground that goes up to the top of Saddleback mountain...killer views of OC. That trail is closed sometimes so hit or miss if you can do that one....LOTS of trails within the time span that you are looking at..pm me if you want to get out and check things out..I have a few friends that have Jeeps and want to get out all the time and you are welcome to tag along Cameron
Stop whining, you are such a baby. Lol... Seriously, I got scratched up pretty good, but it's a Jeep... Let me know if you want to go local, I am good most of the time...

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Stop whining, you are such a baby. Lol... Seriously, I got scratched up pretty good, but it's a Jeep... Let me know if you want to go local, I am good most of the time...
Tank, what area is local for you?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Ron,
I was driving through the Ortega hwy. The trails by my house are a combination of fire road, hills and some rocks. Lots of off camber hills and dips. Lots of bushes as these were originally ATV trails. There are some unexplored trails that ai have not hit yet. I have covered about 50% of the area.
Lot of fun out here.

i would be game to explore these trails. i hunt all the time off clinton keith and Tenaja and have run a couple trails back off the end of tenaja rd but didnt go very far as i was by myself and didnt really know where the road ended up. let me know if you are going out to explore and if my schedule allows i will join you

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I am a little late to the party as you were looking for the 22nd and already done Cleghorn but Big bear has everything from mild to wild...and some in between...holcomb valley for the meek and like a history lesson while out with family that doesnt like the hard stuff. Jacoby Canyon is mild but nice trail also if the wife is not too thrilled about getting crazy. Horsethief canyon has some tricky spots but fun. Gold mountain used to be a mild trail and I will call it medium now due to the water falls/step ups that have arisin over the years, Little john bull steps it up a little more. John Bull proper even more, Dish pan even more and so on...I am up there quite often when i am in town (work sucks). Bee Canyon outside of Hemet is ok with mostly fire roads with a couple of decent spots thrown in..nice trail to take the wife out and enjoy the outdoors...grab lunch at the deli in Idylwild and then Thomas mountain for more nice easy trails with great views..Truck haven out by the Salton Sea/ Borrego springs PLENTY of fun out there...in regards to Murrieta the Wildomar off hwy park will scratch the crap out of your jeep..I blasted my sides out there a couple of weeks ago..some I cant buff out :(...Tank55 can vouge for that...Up behind Clinton Keith road we have about 1000 acres of open land that is fun to get out and play. If you want a nice trail with a view there is Main Divide trail off of Ortega/Blue Jay campground that goes up to the top of Saddleback mountain...killer views of OC. That trail is closed sometimes so hit or miss if you can do that one....LOTS of trails within the time span that you are looking at..pm me if you want to get out and check things out..I have a few friends that have Jeeps and want to get out all the time and you are welcome to tag along Cameron
you have friends?

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
If you're looking for a fun rock trail then may I suggest Marble Canyon.
It's one of my favorites. It's a really cool trail that's close to Cleghorn and 2N17x just north of Lake Silverwood. I see you're on 34's and locked in the front with LSD in the rear. This should be a fun time and a good learning experience with tire placement and driving on rocks.
You should check it out sometime or get with me and we'll get some people together and go run it.
SteveO

1 - 20 of 20 Posts