Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning. I finally fixed a problem I have been chasing for 5 or 6 years. I just thought y'all might find it funny as i did. So, I have owned my jeep for 12 years, and as long as I can remember I would get a rattle from the front suspension at times. This was a light rattle not a heavy rattle. And only happened on a sharp bounce like a pot hole or a wash board dirt road. I have jacked up the front end off the ground and shook everything. Beat it with a rubber mallet, but no rattle. I was concerned at first it might be a bad ball joint. But no. I finally just decided it would let me know when it was ready to be fixed. And I am not that guy, but damn, I could not find it. So fast forward. My jeep is currently destroyed while I am doing an LS swap and flat fenders. While washing the stripped down engine bay I heard it. On the drivers side, inside the coil spring, at the bottom, is a little aluminum cup turned upside down with a hole in it. After comparing to the right side I see it should be attached to the axle by a bolt. I guess this is supposed to keep the coil spring located during hard wheeling. Which I do not. Anyway a quick bolt down and I can look forward to the only noise coming from my jeep will be the sound of a good old American V-8, eventually. And it only took 8 years to find it.
Laugh at me or with me, I don't care!! Rob

·
Super Moderator
6,896 Posts
On the drivers side, inside the coil spring, at the bottom, is a little aluminum cup turned upside down with a hole in it. After comparing to the right side I see it should be attached to the axle by a bolt. I guess this is supposed to keep the coil spring located during hard wheeling
sounds like a bumpstop extension, it's not OEM.

post a pic

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
@ol rob Something so obvious and you couldn’t find that?

:beerdrinking:

Reactions: Blondie70

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The piece was sitting inside the spring and I could not move the axle hard enough to make it rattle. I hit it with the water hose and it make a sound. Like I said I laughed out loud at myself for not finding it years sooner.!!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,371 Posts
I had a rattle I couldn't track down after my August Rubicon Trail run. I did find that I tore my rear upper control arm mount off the axle so I thought ok that's the rattle. I welded it back in place and figured it was fixed and worked on other stuff. Then drove out to Johnson Valley 3 weeks ago and when I hit the dry lake bed that rattle was bad enough that I knew I'd have to find it before I could wheel. Early the next morning I finally found a totally unexpected but easily fixed problem, one of the two 9/16" lower control arm bolts had completely fallen out on one of the front lower control arms. It wasn't hanging because it was the front bolt and arm was being held up inside by the bracket itself. It wasn't easy to find a replacement bolt but at least they had one in town. I missed all but about an hour's worth of wheeling lol.

The very last thing I expected was a missing bolt since I semi-regularly check all of them. I did check/torque every bolt on the rear axle but ran out of time for the front axle. Oh well, live and learn lol.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a high pitched squeak on any bump on my last TJ somewhere in the dashboard, took me a while to find. I ended up just resorting to hitting the dashboard with my fist in different places. The dashboard grab bar had a nut that was the slightest bit loose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts