Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Awesome build! Are you happy with the headlight upgrade? I'm thinking of doing the same, but Wasn't sure which brand to go with. Thanks

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Oh, by all means check out the Quadratec headlights. Check the thread. Best mod you can make. I'm running all LED's up front now, including side markers. CG

·
Registered
656 Posts
Oh, by all means check out the Quadratec headlights. Check the thread. Best mod you can make. I'm running all LED's up front now, including side markers. CG
Your Jeep is coming along nicely and its great you and your son can share the experience of his JEEP.

Did you just change the bulb or the whole light fixture for the side markers and the turn signals? Where did you get them?

When you changed the turn signals did you use a resistor, to stop the hyper flashing?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Jeep is looking awsome I still like those quadratec headlights kinda stuck between those and the truck light ones. It also be nice if someone by me would buy a tank jeep I still have yet to see it in person but the pics are awsome

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
LED Lighting

Well, the Quadratics are a complete new lamp assembly.

Quadratec Stealth LED Headlamp Upgrade Conversion for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

My fogs came from Amazon:

They were about $25....

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MQEIRTO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The turn signal lamps came from SuperBrightLEDs.

Belt Fashion accessory

Welding Auto part Tire Brake Vehicle brake

Headlamp Automotive lighting Vehicle Light Automotive exterior

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Bumper

Technology Electronic device Cable

I used https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/3157-switchback-led-bulb--dual-intensity-60-smd-led-tower,-a-type/1916/4478/ for the front turn signal/running lamps. Since the plastic is clear on the Jeep, you can get this lamps which is always-on white, but is yellow when the turn signal is used.

These are the side markers... https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-5-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/206/919/

And, if you're pro-Law Enforcement (as I am) you can swap out the dim rear license plate bulb for a nice bringht blue one (consult local and state laws)... https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-5-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/206/920/

Now, the front turn signal bulbs do suffer from hyperflashing. I ordered two of these resistor packs as well... https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/car-install-supplies/tail-light-load-resistor-kit/190/831/

Haven't installed them yet, but should do the trick.

Also, here are the interior lamps I used.... Center dome https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-6-smd-led-wedge-base-tower/1728/4112/ and the rear lamp https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/578-led-can-bus-bulb--1-led-festoon/1264/2937/. As far as I can tell, this is the only one that needs to be CANbus.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
OME/JKS Lift Highlights

Some men are Baptists, others Catholics; my father was an Oldsmobile man. Me, I'm all OME. Love the ride over stock...and the yellow! For my lift, I spoke at length with Dirk at DPG, and decided to go with his Super Ultimate OME/JKS Hybrid Kit OME/JKS Super Ultimate JK Hybrid Kit | dpgoffroad.com. Heck of a name, and I was responsible for the name I think! After talking about some extra parts I was interested in, Dirk put a new kit together with some better JKS parts, and renamed it.

Didn't really need the JKS Quick Disconnects, but they look nice and do afford greater articulation (over the stock electronic swaybar disconnects) should one ever need it. You can get just the adjustable JKS swaybar connects like used in the rear if you wanna.

I also went with the OME steering stabilizer, as well as the Jeep JK Wrangler Steering Attenuator Jeep JK Wrangler Steering Attenuator - New Low Price! | Performance Stability

Tweakin' Performance in Eddyville, KY, performed the install. I probably could have done it myself, but I don't like surprises. And right away, we had one. The Jeep holes where the factory swaybar links were attached were too small for the JKS Quicker disconnect pins. And let me tell you, those piece of steel were forged tough! Took quite a while to make the holes just slightly bigger.

Automobile repair shop Mechanic Auto part Auto mechanic Panel beater

The FK50 OME JK steering stabilizer relocation bracket (used to raise the shock above the track bar) were similarly too small for the OME hardware to fit though. Really, OME? So they had to be enlarged too.

Main problem, and one I'm keeping an eye on, is the JKS front adjustable track bar comes very close to the ARB diff cover. Might be OK for road use, but Bill is concerned it'll hit the cover on articulation. In fact, the factory track bar had already hit and slightly marred the ARB, so I'm not sure what can be done about that save for finding a lower profile cover....
The rest of the lift went without issue. When Bill at PT buttoned it all up, she drove great! And even the steering wheel was centered after adding the attenuator. Remarkable to say the least considering we took everything apart to add the JKS stuff.

Here are a few images taken during the job...

My OME springs were powdercoated by Bo's Cycle Shoppe in Clarksville, TN. They did a great job, too, matching my ARB diff cover perfectly.

Auto part Machine Vehicle

Automobile repair shop Vehicle Auto part Machine Car

Overall, I netted 2.5" lift in the rear, and 3" in the front, which will drop after I install my winch this coming week.

CG

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Very nice. If you can't lose the Rubicon stickers then at least put a turret and gun on the roof so you can put the FURY stickers on the barrel. :D

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
JWM 4×4 Billet Grille Insert

Found out about this grille protector from another poster on the Forum. Decided to give it a try. Very nice!

Jeep Wrangler JK Grille Insert by JWM 4x4

For about $75USD shipped, figured it was worth a shot. Install was very straight forward. Removing the grille on the '15 is a simple matter of about six or so popcerts across the top. Bend forward, remove the fog lamps, and she pops right off.

Installing the grille protector was equally easy. Two tabs hold the top flush inside, and you drive three supplied screws into the bottom of the grille frame.

Make sure the grille protector holes are "aligned" with the Jeep openings, just to make it look nice.

Only "mod" I needed to make was moving the Jeep air sensor bracket to another place. It prevents the driver side grille tab from fully engaging. Easy...

Looks good!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Very nice I will be watching this build the hole time. Love the color as well congrats!!
I cant wait to see how well this works out for you I was thinking about getting one.
Jeep JK Wrangler Steering Attenuator

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I don't think I will be a good barometer for the steering attenuator. I made the mistake of lifting the Jeep and adding the attenuator at the same time. And, after owning/driving the Jeep stock for a scant few weeks. Now, I can attest the Jeep ride is much nicer than stock, and steering is great compared to what I was expecting (having killed my TJ's driveability on road by lifting). But I can't say what difference the attenuator has made because so much other stuff changed.

I have a friend that put a bigger lift on his JKU just days before mine. His steering is horrible! All over the road. They have tried adjusting everything including the caster to no avail. He'll be installing an attenuator this week, and I will report on his findings. CG

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Tank you! We went on a trip yesterday to an Elk and Bison prarie in the Land Between the Lakes. He had a blast! Then we actually took it off-road (gah!) and got some mud on her.... CG

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
My uncles WWII foot locker install...

Just for kicks, I added my uncles WWII army foot locker in the back of the JKU. Strapped it down with some O.D. green webbing and buckles. Keep my recovery gear, extra fluids, emergency supplies, flares, and what not in it. Looks pretty cool.... CG

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

·
Registered
567 Posts
By a staggering coincidence, Don at PixelDecals is making me several "FURY" decals in an actual Fury font! Probably going to place one over the windshield. Can't bring myself to lose the Rubicon stickers! CG
Now THAT IS COOL!!!

I cannot wait to see that brother... This is an awesome Jeep.

21 - 40 of 137 Posts