Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Rube Goldberg
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
2,387 Posts
Looks good. Just ordered my 2016 hard rock, can't wait to get started doing some upgrades myself. Looking good. Have you looked into any bumper hoops? Was wondering if there is anything other then the Maxium bolt on hoops available? I have not seen many direct bolt on hoops for the hardrock bumpers. I'm hoping to accecent mine with mostly red parts to match the tow hooks. Anyone with any cool ideas let me know.
There's an entire thread on the topic of bumper hoops for the 10A / X / HR - search and you shall find the droids you are looking for.

Summary: There's only two options at present Maximus-3 and the Mopar hoop. Find the thread and you'll find pictures of all of them.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
I just ordered the Maximus-3 Stinger. If you have the 10A bumper, they make very good stuff. At first, I wasn't a big fan of a stinger style hoop, but the look grew on me. Plus, it seems it's ten to one generic hoop vs. stinger, so it'll be unique. I am hoping maybe it will afford a little more deer protection, for what that's worth. I think MOPAR makes a bolt-on hoop for the 10A bumper, by the way.

Good luck with the 2016 and red accents! I had my springs powder coated when I lifted, and they matched the color of the tow hooks with a colorimiter. Nice.....

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Maximus-3 Stinger and Zero Dark LED bar...

Today, I had a Maximus-3 stinger hoop installed, along with a Zero Dark 12" LED bar.

I was very impressed with their Warn Zeon 10-s bumper plate kit. This device is equally impressive. I was a bit upset that the version I ordered--the "starred bar"--did not arrive. In its place they sent the standard bar. Sucks for them as far as advertising goes, but I though the three stars would fit with the military motif of Fury. Mistake on their part. As I had already made an appointment for install at the local 4x4 shoppe, and didn't realize their mistake until I had arrived an opened the box, the rest is history.

The actual stinger install was straightforward. Some digging at clips, and I think one bumper hole was a tad off, but nothing a grinder didn't fix. The Maximus LED bar mounts lacked those serrated washers to keep it in place due to vibrations, etc. (like the Zero Dark mounts, which would have required drilling into the bumper). And the supplied bolts [for the light bar] were far too long to be used with the Maximus mounts; my installer had to cut them down some. But either than that, and easy one hour job.

The proximity to the bar and the front tow hooks definitely negates their use with anything other than a thin tow strap. Not a deal breaker. Wiring the harness was straightforward as well. The firewall grommet that holds the rear glass washer fluid hose is a perfect way to get to the foot well of the driver side. Although I have yet to decide upon a mount/switch device, the wires simply plop right down by the clutch petal from there.

Overall, the 7300 lumens output by the Zero Dark is nice. The form factor is small and not egregious like those huge 52" roof mounted bars (!) and fits perfectly within the confines of the stinger. The stinger itself is not pretentious, yet outshines its standard hoop counterparts in just the right amount of exotic loudness. Might just even protect from some deer impacts.

I am impressed, and everyone thinks it "makes" the 10A bumper. Should be stock. CG

·
Rube Goldberg
2,387 Posts
Stinger looks good. Personally I like the non-starred version better, but understand the frustration of not getting what you ordered. Not the first time I've heard that the holes didn't line up on the stinger and the bumper.

Out of curiosity, have you contacted Maximus about the issue? I've heard they have great "90s style" customer service (e.g. Will return calls but don't seem to use email at all).

Would be interested to see what they do / say if you end up contacting them about the issues.

Good looking Jeep!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Yeah, I'm OK with the non-starred. Just thought it would look neat. But, less area for bug splatter! And the one hole was just a minor thing. Probably more the bumper than the stinger. It was a 15 second fix.

I sent them an email, but it was/is the weekend, and haven't heard back. We'll see come Monday! CG

·
Rube Goldberg
2,387 Posts
Yeah, I'm OK with the non-starred. Just thought it would look neat. But, less area for bug splatter! And the one hole was just a minor thing. Probably more the bumper than the stinger. It was a 15 second fix. I sent them an email, but it was/is the weekend, and haven't heard back. We'll see come Monday! CG
From what I've heard, you might want to call them. Everyone seems to say they don't respond to email.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
They responded via email first thing this morning, wanting to send me the correct model. I told them it wasn't necessary, but thanks... CG

·
Rube Goldberg
2,387 Posts
They responded via email first thing this morning, wanting to send me the correct model. I told them it wasn't necessary, but thanks... CG
Wow! Good to know they started checking their email haha.

How is the finish on the stinger? Does the powdercoat's finish match that of the HR bumper?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
The powder coating, although a tad rougher to the touch, is practically indistinguishable from the factory bumper. CG

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Hmmm. All the pics show here.

The ZD light bar is very nice! Very well built, I like the warranty, and bright!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Ranch oil pan armor...

Received for Christmas a Rancho oil pan cover...

Amazon.com: Rancho RS6236 RockGear Oil Pan Cover: Automotive.

I don't seriously offroad Fury, but it looked cool, easy to install, and would provide added protection for my Fumoto oil pan drain valve, so...

Immediately, I (literally) screwed up and inadvertently tried to place one of the Ranch bolts into the bottom of my engine! Snapped the head right off. Stupid is as stupid does. So I just crawled out from under the Jeep and walked away...

A friend of mine who does most of my heavy Jeep work saved the day. He welded a nut to the threads (fortunately there was enough left sticking out) and backed that sucker right out.

Then, in a few minutes, the armor was attached. And it does add quite a bit of protection for such an easy upgrade.

CG

PS: I may be having image link issues. If they don't show, lemme know and I'll work on it...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice Tank! On the holster I tend to get lazy and my knee ends up nearly on the 4wd stick, I'm 6ft, doesn't get in the way? Is it something I could rest me knee against without the worry of bending that bracket? Also on the led fog bulbs , did you have to add a resistor for it? I ended up with the JW speaker j lights and thinkin that mot be a good color match.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts