Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum

I recently got rear ended in my 2011 honda civic and it was totaled. Previously had a 2008 mustang gt. Now im looking for a new vehicle and i have always liked the wranglers since my high school years. Its now time to get myself in a jeep.

Ive decided to go with a wrangler unlimited. Thats about all i know so far as of what type of jeep i want. Ive been searching and their are lots of different style and models offered. Not sure if the rubicon is really worth it or something like a willy wheeler will do. Plus all the options you can get etc.

So im here asking for the 411 on wranglers. I just found out its the jeep jk since they are the new models. Thats the jeep im looking to get. thanks

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Are you looking for new or used JK?

If new, are you looking to order (8+ weeks), or take whatever's on the dealer's lot?

·
Registered
271 Posts
wouldn't matter to me...or is there a big difference?
Well as long as a premade wrangler has everything you want then it doesn't matter. I ordered everything I wanted in copperhead color but that would take 2 months to be built. I just ended up getting a white that was at a near dealership.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Well as long as a premade wrangler has everything you want then it doesn't matter. I ordered everything I wanted in copperhead color but that would take 2 months to be built. I just ended up getting a white that was at a near dealership.
I would always custom order. Too much money to spend, and not have exactly want you want (and none of what you don't). If one finds such already on a lot, then that just the best of luck.

I only asked since you mentioned that your recently totaled your 2011 honda civic. Because of such, I thought you might be in a rush to get a replacement.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same here. I wouldn't be able to wait if I ordered one. I'm looking at finding one in a dealer. What did you get?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would always custom order. Too much money to spend, and not have exactly want you want (and none of what you don't). If one finds such already on a lot, then that just the best of luck.

I only asked since you mentioned that your recently totaled your 2011 honda civic. Because of such, I thought you might be in a rush to get a replacement.
So your saying that ordering is best than? I'm not in a rush. But I will look hard to see if I can get what I want in a dealer. I see you have a rubicon x. You recommend that?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had a 2007 Honda Accord before I got my jeep and it took me a year to find the perfect one, but I wasn't in a rush because my Honda was still in pretty good condition, but I refused to settle with what these Dealerships in New Orleans wanted for these Jeeps. Jeeps started getting popular with the soccer moms here and the dealers definitely took advantage of it, and jacked up the MSRP on wranglers by as much as $6,000, plus there are only two dealerships that were selling Jeeps so basically it was close to being a monopoly out here. So I wised up and went to my friends over in Texas and got a great deal on my Jeep and I have loved every minute of it, not to mention the attention from the ladies has skyrocketed, but I digress. My advice to you is this, search your entire state, and your bordering states to find the Jeep you want, and if the Jeep doesn't have everything you want on it, you can always get aftermarket items for it, Jeeps are by far one of the easiest vehicles to modify to your liking.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now the question is do you plan on going off roading with your jeep or just strictly day to day?
Will be day to day and off roading as well. But day to day use will be minimal. I'm in a vanpool for work so don't drive my vehicle mon-fri basically.

·
Registered
161 Posts
You can go on Jeep.com, build one, then have the site locate ones that meet your specs. That's what I did since I missed the boat on being able to order one.

As cool as the Rubi is, I passed on it due to cost and that it will spend much of it's life on pavement. That's not to say that it will not see off road use because it will, but I had to be real about what was needed. I'll never rock crawl or do anything extreme in it...just exploring some back country and towing quads.

My 2 cents and almost new owner.

·
Registered
830 Posts
You can go on Jeep.com, build one, then have the site locate ones that meet your specs. That's what I did since I missed the boat on being able to order one.

As cool as the Rubi is, I passed on it due to cost and that it will spend much of it's life on pavement. That's not to say that it will not see off road use because it will, but I had to be real about what was needed. I'll never rock crawl or do anything extreme in it...just exploring some back country and towing quads.

Thing that stinks about the site 'build your own' is that you have to specify the color and there's no way to tell the system that multiple colors are okay and the systems 'match' system thinks colors are high priority. So it will find vehicles with different options and call those a 'high match' vs. finding a vehicle with the exact options in a different color. So keep that in mind...

That being said it sounds like the O.P. doesn't have a clear understanding of the options available and what usage the vehicle will be put to. It's important to get that all figured out up front or you may end up wasting money on features that aren't needed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Very true. Also thinking that and saving on a rubicon and using that on upgrades to make it look good. Like tires, wheels etc

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thing that stinks about the site 'build your own' is that you have to specify the color and there's no way to tell the system that multiple colors are okay and the systems 'match' system thinks colors are high priority. So it will find vehicles with different options and call those a 'high match' vs. finding a vehicle with the exact options in a different color. So keep that in mind...

That being said it sounds like the O.P. doesn't have a clear understanding of the options available and what usage the vehicle will be put to. It's important to get that all figured out up front or you may end up wasting money on features that aren't needed.
Yes I'm not very clear. That's why I joined this forum today to get as much info as I can. Also to understand the jeep more in depth

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
New vs. used and 2 door vs. 4 door should be your first two priorities. :)

If you want to custom order a 2014, you have until the week of May 8th to order most trim levels. Some of the 2014 special editions have already closed for the year.

If you decide you want to order, check out these threads:

Here is a link for you. My post is third in that thread. Within that post are some other links.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/p...ple-months-630866.html?highlight=within+hours

·
Registered
161 Posts
Very true. Also thinking that and saving on a rubicon and using that on upgrades to make it look good. Like tires, wheels etc
Same here as well. I'm new to Jeeps but not to 4x4's or lifts. From some of the research you'll need that extra cash for a bunch of accessories. haha! I was all about a lift and 33's but I'm rethinking that... Might just get a set of duratracs in stock size, do a leveling kit and call it a day.

FWIW - we are traveling 1000 miles to pick ours up. No one close had what we wanted locally or in the surrounding states.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yes I'm not very clear. That's why I joined this forum today to get as much info as I can. Also to understand the jeep more in depth
That should be a good start.

Where do you live? What kind of offroading are you interested in doing (if any)?

Answers to those questions should get some good suggestions as far as where to start. Don't just do what someone else is doing, situations and usage are different.

For example I'm picking up a sport with hard top and A/C, primary use is to get the wife and I to rockhounding sites in the desert. No desire to do anything extreme, all of the collecting sites out here are on BLM land and there are tons of well established trails already. If there's any rock to be 'crawled' we can do that on foot. Stock jeep is plenty capable of anything we're likely to encounter and we don't care what it 'looks' like.

However that's our situation.. some people like to spend money dressing up their Jeeps.. others spend money so they can play in the rocks and the like. Everyone has different goals, you need to figure out what your goals are.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That should be a good start.

Where do you live? What kind of offroading are you interested in doing (if any)?

Answers to those questions should get some good suggestions as far as where to start. Don't just do what someone else is doing, situations and usage are different.

For example I'm picking up a sport with hard top and A/C, primary use is to get the wife and I to rockhounding sites in the desert. No desire to do anything extreme, all of the collecting sites out here are on BLM land and there are tons of well established trails already. If there's any rock to be 'crawled' we can do that on foot. Stock jeep is plenty capable of anything we're likely to encounter and we don't care what it 'looks' like.

However that's our situation.. some people like to spend money dressing up their Jeeps.. others spend money so they can play in the rocks and the like. Everyone has different goals, you need to figure out what your goals are.
I live in Azusa ca. We have the Azusa canyons in our backyard and thats cool for weekend fun. We have lots of near by places like the inland empire, temecula areas and trips to Laughlin and such. But I won't be doing the hard core stuff like extreme rock crawling and such.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
One basic thing that I would recommend is the 3.73 gear ratio. It will likely handle most things you would want to do with it

Auto or manual?

I'd recommend 2012 or newer to get the 285 hp 3.6L Pentastar engine.

·
Registered
830 Posts
One basic thing that I would recommend is the 3.73 gear ratio. It will likely handle most things you would want to do with it
Why 3.73? The transfer case has a lo range for a reason, if you're not going to put on larger tires as far as I can tell the 3.21 final drive is perfectly fine. And if you plan on going big with tire and lift, 4.0+ would probably be called for anyway. Just curious.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts