Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once I get my truck payed off next year I want to look at getting a new jeep wrangler, I've always loved them and now I want to own one. So I think I am liking the rubicon the most since it has the most options safety and control wise plus it has a better sound system. But what wrangler do you guys have and which one would you recommend? Also the gas mileage looks to be terrible on these so are there any ways to bump it up?

·
Administrator
12,455 Posts
Welcome, best way to up your mpg is to buy a beater honda, toyota. Then take the money you are saving on gas and use it to mod the jeep..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well right now I have a 2000 chevy s10 2.2 so I could always keep that for gas mileage but I want to trade it in for a down payment. How much does it cost you to fill up your tank? But they don't make cold air intakes, exhausts(legit exhausts), underdrive pulleys, nothing like that?

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Cost me about 50-60 each fill up on the bigger gas tank that the 4drs have.
All those things you listed dont really do too much as far as gas mileage or power for that matter. You spend all that money on those parts for nothing.
I havent calculated my actual mileage but the dash display has been back and forth between 15-19 mpg
If you can afford the down payment and extra insurance then keep the S10. I had one too a while back, those things get sick gas mileage

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cost me about 50-60 each fill up on the bigger gas tank that the 4drs have.
All those things you listed dont really do too much as far as gas mileage or power for that matter. You spend all that money on those parts for nothing.
I havent calculated my actual mileage but the dash display has been back and forth between 15-19 mpg
If you can afford the down payment and extra insurance then keep the S10. I had one too a while back, those things get sick gas mileage
Yea well I'm still 16 so I'm thinking it would be better to get one when I turn 18 so I can build credit and what not. I'm definitely going to keep the s10 for a while, I have plans lol. But I'm just going to stick around here and learn about jeeps because that's what I do.

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
I have a Rubi and even though it isn't a JK, I absolutely love it.

Given the choice I wouldn't do it any other way.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I agree about the mileage. It's mostly in the weight and aerodynamics. I think even radically changing the motor and transmission (with Pentastar 3.6L engine that is being promised "soon", e.g. 2012, 2013) will do very little.
My last full fuelings yielded 16.2, 18.3, 16.5, 18.3 mpg. Note though I trust odometer for these calculations, not using a GPS. The dash display shows 19mpg which is clearly flattering.
BTW, I bought Rubicon because I'm not into modding. If you want to re-gear it anyway, no need to waste money on Rubicon, which basically exists only so it can provide you with 1:4 low, 4.01 main, lockers and rollbar disconnect in one package.
-- Pete

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
I love my rubicon. They are on the expensive side but given the choice again, I would still go rubicon. The jeep is configured well for off road right out of the box. Costs me 40 to 50 to fill. Mine gets 16 to 18 in mixed city/highway driving and about 19 on the highway. I consider that good for the type of vehicle that it is and what it is capable of. On my trip to Florida from Mass I drove 3,000 miles approximately and averaged 11mpg with a 2000 to 2500 lb trailer in tow and four kayaks up top. Eventually I may get a gas sipper but I'm having too much fun driving the jeep as my DD right now.

·
Registered
8,910 Posts
I have a Sahara and I'd recommend a Rubicon if you plan to wheel it and do a simple-ish build.
If you plan a complex build, get an X.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I almost bought a Rubi but went with a Sahara because I wanted the Katzkin leather interior. I plan to add a 2.5" lift and bigger tires when the stockers wear out. In Canada the Rubi was 5K more and I figured I could do more with that 5K than what I would have got on the Rubi.

The one thing that is crappy on the Sahara is the painted fenders. Mine are all scratched up and I will be replacing them with plastic.

As for the sound system I believe mine is as good as what's in the Rubicon. I have the Nav/MyGig with sub 368W amp and 7 Infinity speakers. ETA: This is standard in Sahara and Rubicon.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I almost bought a Rubi but went with a Sahara because I wanted the Katzkin leather interior. I plan to add a 2.5" lift and bigger tires when the stockers wear out. In Canada the Rubi was 5K more and I figured I could do more with that 5K than what I would have got on the Rubi.

The one thing that is crappy on the Sahara is the painted fenders. Mine are all scratched up and I will be replacing them with plastic.

As for the sound system I believe mine is as good as what's in the Rubicon. I have the Nav/MyGig with sub 368W amp and 7 Infinity speakers. ETA: This is standard in Sahara and Rubicon.
I meant to say the 7 speakers/amp/sub is standard equipment (from 2009 brochure), not the Nav/MyGig which is optional on all models.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
All Wranglers have the same safety options standard. The only 2 that aren't are the side airbags and the limited slip rear differential. If you are going to get it muddy and hit the trail nothing beats the Rubi. If you want to have some fun, take the top off and have a vehicle purpose built to go offroad then any of the wranglers will do.

Sahara has the standard 7 speaker system still for 2010 and 2011.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts