Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a set of used Mopar High Top Flares for a JKU. Thanks @GuzziMoto.

I'm not 100% certain of how I'll implement these. The front passenger is damaged, but may be correctable to a degree. I started last night using a heat gun to take the dent out of the flare. So far it is looking much better.

Since these have been discontinued, the win here is the rear flares. The JK ones are still available, so I could purchase a JK set and use the fronts from that set with the rears from this set. Time will tell.

I had to fix my passenger flare after clipping a tree last weekend. I pulled it off and did a test fit of these. They make my 35s look small and I do not need the additional temptation to move up to 37s, so I have time to contemplate how best to use these.

Happy to have these in reserve for when/if I step up to 37s.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
This is also part of the planning phase. how to make it work with my 10a bumper.
Would love to see if you can make them work. I was just looking at my Recon and decided that flat fenders won't ever be in my plans. I just like the stock look. If I go 37's, I will swap to 4.5" coils and then just run stock fenders. I mean what's another inch right?

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would love to see if you can make them work. I was just looking at my Recon and decided that flat fenders won't ever be in my plans. I just like the stock look. If I go 37's, I will swap to 4.5" coils and then just run stock fenders. I mean what's another inch right?
me too about liking the stock fenders. this is why i looked into high tops, more room but still look stock. i’m not a flat fender fan.

i also see how well the stock flares take a hit versus the high tops. my stock ones flexed and broke some clips. the ones i bought, dented and tore a mount. looks to be fixable, but has me wondering. i have time to work out the plan because this is likely not happening anytime soon.

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
Glad to hear the "wrinkle" is coming out well.
I hope you put them to good use.
We had 37's with them, along with a 2.5" lift.
As to making your 35's look small, you may need to give it a little time before you judge. Any change like that will stand out at first. But often over time it becomes more normal. Another way is to get an unbiased second opinion, someone who isn't used to your Jeep as it is.
I like the premise of them allowing you to run less bump stop extension with the bigger tires.
Either way, good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear the "wrinkle" is coming out well.
I hope you put them to good use.
We had 37's with them, along with a 2.5" lift.
As to making your 35's look small, you may need to give it a little time before you judge. Any change like that will stand out at first. But often over time it becomes more normal. Another way is to get an unbiased second opinion, someone who isn't used to your Jeep as it is.
I like the premise of them allowing you to run less bump stop extension with the bigger tires.
Either way, good luck.
Hey Michael,

I am pleasantly surprised with how the wrinkle is smoothing out. I wasn't sure how it would go when I started. I have some more work to do, but it really doesn't look hateful now.

You make a very good point about "less bump stop extension". I had not considered that. I regret not taking a picture, but it is easy enough to pull and mock up the fronts at least.

Perhaps I'll try it next weekend to get some unbiased feedback.

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
Hey Michael,

I am pleasantly surprised with how the wrinkle is smoothing out. I wasn't sure how it would go when I started. I have some more work to do, but it really doesn't look hateful now.

You make a very good point about "less bump stop extension". I had not considered that. I regret not taking a picture, but it is easy enough to pull and mock up the fronts at least.

Perhaps I'll try it next weekend to get some unbiased feedback.
Yeah, if your tires are the reason for the extra bump stop extension,as can be the case with 35's, switching to the High Top fenders could allow you to get away with less bump stop as long as your shocks aren't also a limiting factor.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So today, I cleaned up the flares and mock mounted them on the driver side. I took a ton of pics to get different perspectives.

I'm interested in feedback from those who are not used to seeing my Jeep before I mounted them.

I still need to finish working on the passenger front damage, but I'm getting closer.

I kinda like it and do not think it looks that bad. I may be able to pull the bump stop extensions that came with the lift off now and get more flex too.

I also found a set of Maxximus rear bumper block-off plates for $20 on FB market place, so I can address the way the rear bumper lines up.

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
I like the look. My only issue at all is the front stubby bumper set up. I think that looks a little off with full fenders, but you have that either way.
But as far as tire size and gap between the tires and the fenders I think it looks great. Of course, I do like the Mopar High Top fender look and I may be biased.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like the look. My only issue at all is the front stubby bumper set up. I think that looks a little off with full fenders, but you have that either way.
But as far as tire size and gap between the tires and the fenders I think it looks great. Of course, I do like the Mopar High Top fender look and I may be biased.
i agree about the tire size and gap. once i pulled it out and stood back, i realize i looks better than i thought. i go back and forth with the stubby. the ends are stored in my loft and i have been toying with putting them back on for the winter. this will give me a chance to see them with a full width bumper.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i may have just stumbled across a brand new set of jk mopar high top flares. i have not closed the deal yet, but the deal is promising and amazingly cheap. it will net me new front flares and give me a set of jk ones to resell after all is said and done.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I just closed an amazing deal on a set of never mounted JK Mopar High Top flares!:dance:

The fronts are identical between JK & JKU, and the set I was working with has damaged front passenger flare.

I literally tripped over this deal as I was just scanning for images of JK Mopar High Top Flares to look at tire to flare clearances on a variety of Jeeps. I am beyond psyched since now I have a set of JKU flares to mount that have zero damage, and I can sell a JK set with brand new never mounted rears and okay fronts.

I plan to start working on them after dinner tonight, and hope to be done by Saturday mid-day. I figure one flare per night and one on Saturday morning.

If anyone is looking for a set of JK Mopar High Top flares let me know; I'm willing to work something out since both deals were so great for me.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
i may have just stumbled across a brand new set of jk mopar high top flares. i have not closed the deal yet, but the deal is promising and amazingly cheap. it will net me new front flares and give me a set of jk ones to resell after all is said and done.
Damn you! I have two issues. Obviously I think the rear is awful, but thats obvious. I also think you should add the end caps for the bumper.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I think it looks good. Front bumper looks a bit funky for mall crawling, but anyone with offroad experience sees it as the clothing of a rock crawler.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Damn you! I have two issues. Obviously I think the rear is awful, but thats obvious. I also think you should add the end caps for the bumper.
I failed to mention that I scored a set of Maximus-3 10A/Hard Rock rear bumper end caps for $20 just last week. They will go on too, and the rear should look way better.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One night, one flare and a bonus project... bolting the front bumper extension on to see how it looks with the new flares...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts