Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 2005 Sahara TJ and the FWD light in the dash does not come on when I go to FWD, also when you turn the key to start the FWD light does not come on. I think it is going into FWD fine. I put it in FWD on a dirt road and hit it and all 4 wheels spun. So is it a bitch to change the bulb?

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Probably the switch on the transfer case, very common, looking from front to back locate the wire harness that terminates above and to the left the front drive shaft on top of the transfer case. pull the plug and jump the plug with a wire to see if you light works.

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
The light on mine stopped working about a year ago so I had a look at some old threads on the subject.
Must be very common because there were heaps of threads.
I was all set to pull the dash cluster to check the bulb and test the switch with a paper clip but one guy suggested to reach up under the dash (in front of your left knee) grab a fistful of wiring and give it a wiggle up and down - sounded crazy but I tried it and the light came back on - has been working ever since :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you hold down the trip meter reset button and turn the key on, it should initiate a self test of the instrument cluster. If FWD comes on, check the switch on the transfer case, and/or the wiring. I believe it's a soldered on LED, not a bulb.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
If you hold down the trip meter reset button and turn the key on, it should initiate a self test of the instrument cluster. If FWD comes on, check the switch on the transfer case, and/or the wiring. I believe it's a soldered on LED, not a bulb.
Nope. That test does not light the 4wd light. Need to jump the switch with a paper clip like previous posts stated. That test lights up like everything but that light.

Edit. I disconnected mine at the t case and jumped it there. Never heard of doing it at dash like previous poster. T case less than 5 min just un hook and jump. No taking apart dash. Not sure how that would work either. Apologize your getting off the wall answers. I can guarantee from real experience all the junk I'm saying works. Good luck. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts