Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a tire pump from Auto Zone burn out midstream and needed a new one so I went to Amazon and found a dual cylinder pump that happens to be their best seller at $29.99 (9/12/19) with the Home brand on it.

It comes in a hard shell case and includes coiled extension tubing for the air line. Connects to the 12V ACC outlet or to the battery with included cables for that option. It's designed to cut off after your tire reaches your pre-designated setting for air pressure but some people have reported issues with this causing overinflation. Interestingly though, is that the seller emailed me two days after the sale and asked me to report any issues like this that I may experience and that email was unsolicited, so perhaps they are ready and waiting to send a new unit if I have that issue. Also, if you email them your order number they'l extend the 2 year warranty to five years. No wonder it's the #1 on Amazon.

The great thing about it though is that the case stows directly below the rear seat in my JKU so snugly that it's as if it was made to fit there and doesn't protrude forward of the seat at all. Perfect fit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M661RB5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Always good to have options. Let us know about the long term quality of this unit.

I have an ARB as I have lockers and it works well. The problem is I can't move it from Jeep to Jeep when we take Momma's Grand to places like the beach.

Reactions: wrath0r

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any idea how long it takes to air up a 35” tire from say 12 psi to 28 psi?
I just got it so I don't know what the pressurization characteristics are. I'm probably not going to deflate a tire and test it for you either lol... Check the link above for the Amazon listing and you can ask specific questions about that there. It has a 4.3 rating with 84% of 212 reviews at 4 stars or better, #1 best seller in its category and one of few dual-cylinder compressors which are going to be faster than single cylinder. Besides, it fits perfectly under the back seat! :) And, $29.99!

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
$39.99 today. Must've gotten an upgrade over the past few hours.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
Just because its an amazon "best seller" doesn't automatically mean its a good unit. Read the reviews.
Average Joe
1.0 out of 5 starsVery slow, very hot, not a good value
June 3, 2019
Verified Purchase
I tested this on my Jeep 285/75-16 spare tire. I aired it down to 10psi then set the compressor to 30 psi. 11 minutes and 16 seconds got me to an indicated 30psi. I checked the tire with a known good digital guage, and read 37.5psi.. The compressor also read 8psi at the start of the test when my guage read 10.
The cigarette lighter plug got extremely hot as well, to the point of giving me a blister when I inadvertantly touched it with my finger. Yeah, it's getting returned.
:blackeye

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I just got it so I don't know what the pressurization characteristics are. I'm probably not going to deflate a tire and test it for you either lol... Check the link above for the Amazon listing and you can ask specific questions about that there. It has a 4.3 rating with 84% of 212 reviews at 4 stars or better, #1 best seller in its category and one of few dual-cylinder compressors which are going to be faster than single cylinder. Besides, it fits perfectly under the back seat! :) And, $29.99!
The time to try it is now and not when you need it.

I don't get people who buy equipment that they might need and never take it out of the package before hand to make sure it does what they expect, that it works and that they know how it functions.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
pkdailey4 said:
Just because its an amazon "best seller" doesn't automatically mean its a good unit. Read the reviews.
Average Joe said:
1.0 out of 5 starsVery slow, very hot, not a good value
June 3, 2019
Verified Purchase
I tested this on my Jeep 285/75-16 spare tire. I aired it down to 10psi then set the compressor to 30 psi. 11 minutes and 16 seconds got me to an indicated 30psi. I checked the tire with a known good digital guage, and read 37.5psi.. The compressor also read 8psi at the start of the test when my guage read 10.
The cigarette lighter plug got extremely hot as well, to the point of giving me a blister when I inadvertantly touched it with my finger. Yeah, it's getting returned.

:blackeye

Reactions: wrath0r

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
? It's got 84% 4 stars or better. People complain only that the preset to cut off at a desired PSI has had issues but the pump works fine. Use a tire gauge or on a JK, your TP monitor on the dash. Also, as I mentioned in the OP, the seller/manufacturer emailed me a couple days after purchase asking me to contact them if I have any issues, so this tells me they stand behind their product, as reviewers have also stated. I'd probably still buy it at $39.99 since the $19.99 Slime pump from AutoZone died and fried my 12V ACC outlet on the dash, and the 20A fuse is fine. Now the dash has to come apart to replace that module... smh.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The time to try it is now and not when you need it.

I don't get people who buy equipment that they might need and never take it out of the package before hand to make sure it does what they expect, that it works and that they know how it functions.
You’re assuming too much. Typical for forums though. As I mentioned, the seller wants me to let them know if I have any issues with the pump, preset PSI or otherwise, so I intend to deflate 10 PSI from 35 to 25 (the TPMS kicks in with a warning at 27 PSI) and time the refill and also check the preset function and report back to them. I’ll do the same here, but I’m not deflating to 12 as someone else here implied I should do.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Get it, test it, post it.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
That's a different listing. This one gets 4.3 stars. Click the link in the OP.
Not a different listing, taken directly from the link you posted. :pcwhack:
As is this one.

James Donald Yarborough Jr
1.0 out of 5 starsI’m thinking 2 minutes to inflate a tire from 0 to 35 is a joke. It would have to be a bicycle tire.
July 11, 2019
Verified Purchase
I’m returning the compressor. I deflated my spare (225/70 SR 16) and hooked up the unit. Set it at 32 and turned it on. It took 10 minutes and 30 seconds to reach 32.5 and it shut off. I let it cool for 15 minutes and then hooked it to my truck tire (275/70 SR 16) and it read 25. I set it again to 32 turned it on and walked away. I came back in 5 minutes and it read 28. I walked away again and came back in 5 minutes and the hose was leaking air at the factory fitting where it’s crimped.
I’m seeing poor quality on the hose and as far as the pump it’s slower than it’s advertised to be.
The description says it will pump up a tire from 0 to 35 in 2 minutes. I’m thinking this must be a bike tire not an average size car tire. I will say it’s quiet and easy to use and it’s cooler than the single head unit.
I’m undecided on whether or not to try another one from Yome. It could be that I got a bad one. The reviews are good. Maybe I’m expecting too much from a 12 volt unit.
If you're happy, that's all that matters. To me, it's a toy, good for bicycle tires, footballs, and air mattresses.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
You’re assuming too much. Typical for forums though. As I mentioned, the seller wants me to let them know if I have any issues with the pump, preset PSI or otherwise, so I intend to deflate 10 PSI from 35 to 25 (the TPMS kicks in with a warning at 27 PSI) and time the refill and also check the preset function and report back to them. I’ll do the same here, but I’m not deflating to 12 as someone else here implied I should do.
No sir, I'm not assuming too much. Your words:

"I just got it so I don't know what the pressurization characteristics are. I'm probably not going to deflate a tire and test it for you either lol... "

YOU said that you probably would not deflate a tire to test it.

Typical for forums to have someone backtrack on their statements, though.

MY words were that I don't understand why people don't test their equipment before needing it. That applies to a lot of people on forums. If that shoe fits you, wear it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If all you expect to need an air pump for is to top off a single tire from time to time, sounds like you have a test plan that fits your needs.

If you plan to use this for emergencies, like when you get a flat, you're going to need to know if it will overheat before it can take a tire from flat to full.

However, you don't have to test it at all if you don't want. Some of us just aren't willing to take that much risk is all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No sir, I'm not assuming too much. Your words:

"I just got it so I don't know what the pressurization characteristics are. I'm probably not going to deflate a tire and test it for you either lol... "

YOU said that you probably would not deflate a tire to test it.

Typical for forums to have someone backtrack on their statements, though.

MY words were that I don't understand why people don't test their equipment before needing it. That applies to a lot of people on forums. If that shoe fits you, wear it.
Dude, you really ought to seek out a happier life, or maybe have some cranberry juice. Not deflating to 12 PSI, sorry you misunderstood but go on with your little flame job, IDFC.

·
Super Moderator
6,808 Posts
I guess it depends on your needs. If you just want something that can inflate one tire if it is low that would likely do the job. I have one of those cheap compressor in a cases (different brand, same quality).
But it was inadequate for airing up after wheeling. It could not handle all four tires back to back from typical air down pressures to street pressures, made worse by the size of our tires. So I bought a quality compressor in a case with a 100% duty cycle (I don't even see a duty cycle rating for this one).
On the one hand, I would recommend a four tire inflation kit like the M.O.R.R. system if you were going to use this little compressor to actually air up all four tires. That would allow you to minimize wasted air pressure, filling all four at once to the same pressure. That was a problem with the cheap compressor when trying to do all four tires. It had a hard time doing all four tires before it tripped out, so any wasted time filling a given tire beyond the target pressure was crucial time wasted. Forget airing up your buddy after afterwards.
Also, I would avoid using the cigarette lighter adapter. If it really has any power it will either blow the fuse or melt that wire. But maybe it doesn't need to worry about that.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
Dude, you really ought to seek out a happier life, or maybe have some cranberry juice. Not deflating to 12 PSI, sorry you misunderstood but go on with your little flame job, IDFC.
When being attacked by bears, it's best to play dead................the more you put up a fight, the more likely you are to be mauled to death and eaten. :lmao:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts