Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drained my old fluid tonight out of my Dana 44 rearwnd with a g2 diff cover. When I went to refill it took 4 quarts before it overflowed the fill hole!!!! Should I be concerned about this? Should I drain some fluid or before I drive?

·
Registered
2 Posts
that fill hole looks very high, seems your tubes would be full of oil at that point. Usually the fill or overflow hole is just above the bottom of the tube.

·
Super Moderator
6,518 Posts
you should use the recommended amount, the fill holes on most aftermarket diff covers are not set at the correct height for an overflow hole.

a D44 rear should take 2 qts

·
Registered
863 Posts
^^^ This.

"High Fill" differential covers aren't the same as "High Capacity." The fill hole on aftermarket covers is raised higher to make filling easier rather than to increase capacity.

Unless specifically instructed otherwise by the diff cover manufacturer, fill with the same amounts recommended in the Owner's Manual and Factory Service Manual. An overfilled differential will leak oil through the seals and the vent tube.

[BTDT]

·
Registered
608 Posts
I put G2 differential covers on both the front and back of my TJ. Both have higher fill ports which no longer are usable for determining the proper oil level. As noted, if differentials with high-port covers are filled to overflowing, it could cause seal and vent problems and potentially oil foaming.

So, what I did was to devise a tool that allows me to tell when the oil is at the proper level when filling the differential. It is simply a small chain (an old metal pocket-watch chain in this case) with a lead weight on the end; a "sounding chain" as it were.

So, when filling the diff, I use this chain to tell where the oil level is by inserting it into the fill port and allowing the weight to fall to the proper oil level. This proper oil level is determined by first hanging the chain from the outside of the diff to see the amount of chain it takes to reach the axle tube.

So, to fill the differential with oil, I put small amounts of oil and periodically check with the chain. When the end of the chain (the lead weight) gets wet, I stop the fill and call it a day.

It takes a little bit longer this way, but it assures the proper oil level.

The new G2 diff covers are worth the extra refilling effort. Not only are they "purdy," they have drain ports that allow quick and easy oil changes after running through deep water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts