Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question for you all...

I am in the UK driving a TJ produced in Europe, obviously right hand drive. I downloaded an app to convert my recent fuel up in liters to gallons... but the app is offering me gallons US or gallons imperial.

I googled them and gallons imperial is used in the UK, Canada, Spain etc, and gallons US is obviously used in the US...

So is my 19 gallon fuel tank an imperial gallon tank? Even though its produced in Europe, as an American jeep maybe is still gallons US?

The difference to my mpg and how much further I could drive on a tank is an enormous difference between the two.

Anyone know the answer?

Thanks. FarmerTom.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
If your app can convert liters per Km to either U.S. or Imperial gallons then it doesn't really matter whether the tank is imperial or U.S...

You probably want to use the U.S. gallons option so you can relate to the fuel mileages discussed on this forum. Most users here are in the U.S.

For your total range, you'll need to find out how many liters the tank holds. Then convert that to gallons. It has to be documented somewhere online. I'd be willing to bet the tank is the same as the one used in the US TJ's and that they didn't design a new gas tank just to hold European liters. If you have the standard tank it should hold 19 US Gallons or 71 liters.

FWIW, Canada hasn't used gallons since all the gas station pumps went metric back in 1978. But, 39 years later, they still put the Imperial MPG beside the Liters per 100 Km rating on the window stickers of new vehicles. Since Imperial gallons are larger than U.S. gallons, the number is always more appealing :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts