Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used 2005 TJ half door soft top. I just removed the back seat and the first time I turned around to back up I realized I had a gap between the tailgate and the soft top. Am I missing something ?

·
Brewing, Skiing & Jeeps..
549 Posts
Got a pic? It could be a incorrectly installed window to an adjustment needed in the tailgate to..?

·
Jeeponator
1,413 Posts
Am I missing something ?
Does it have the bar that goes across the bottom of the back window? It runs the entire width of the back window and locks into brackets on either side of the tailgate. Without it you won't get a good seal to the tailgate.

Other than that as said above, pics would help.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Gap In Tailgate

I did have the window rolled up to remove the back seat. Maybe I put the window bar above the tailgate in wrong. I'll post a pic. Thanks. Also the the bar has hard rubber on each end, about 4 inches but only on the ends of the bar not the mid section where the gap is.

·
Administrator
30,780 Posts
The mid-section should be enclosed in the sleeve that runs across the bottom of the rear window. The ends with the rubber are what attach to the brackets that are mounted on the rear of the tub.

·
Jeeponator
1,413 Posts
That sounds right. The rubber you are referring to is only on the ends of the bar where it "latches" into the tub. It doesn't extend all the way across the tailgate section. Sounds like you have the parts intact.

Edit: Wow triple posts at the same time. Curious to see pics.

·
Registered
892 Posts
there should be a bar that has rubber seal for the tailgate on it. when you put your rear window on, you slide the bottom of the window onto the bar so that it holds in place.

Attachments

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
It's easy to make the mistake and slide the bar on upside-down. That will leave a gap.
You know it's on the right way when the soft rubber part is making contact with the top of the tailgate (when closed).

·
Brewing, Skiing & Jeeps..
549 Posts
Kind of tough to see where the gap is in that picture. Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet. When my soft top is on and the window is down, there is no gap. I'd take a pic for you, but the hardtop is on right now. It does sound like the bar is missing or you are maybe installing it backwards. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gap above the Tailgate

Thanks everybody for the help. I'm going to swing by my local Jeep dealer and see what's up. I'll post what I find out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's easy to make the mistake and slide the bar on upside-down. That will leave a gap.
You know it's on the right way when the soft rubber part is making contact with the top of the tailgate (when closed).
Ok, this is an old thread but I wanted to add to this as this is exactly what was wrong with my TJ. The bottom bracket was installed backwards with the weather seal, which is supposed to press against the tailgate when closed, facing toward the inside of the Jeep. This bottom bracket can be removed by sliding it off either left or right from the bottom of the rear window. Just slide it back on with the weather seal facing towards the tail gate and you're golden.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts