Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was the biggest bonehead thing I have done in quite a long time. I was getting groceries out of my Jeep while parked in my garage. It is super long so I often close the garage door while unloading. This time I did not pull in far enough.

Any ideas how I can seal this off so water does not get behind it? I pretty much bent the sheet metal back to where it should be but the paint is still peeled. I can't have a body shop look at it right now.

Anybody, help!?

20161227_134843 by Pete, on Flickr

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you're concerned about water behind the peeling paint, cover it with something like duct tape. If it were me, and I knew I'd have it fixed, I'd pull off the peeling paint by wire brushing or sanding it and hit the exposed metal with some primer to prevent surface rust until it was repainted.

·
Registered
429 Posts
pic off the loose paint and hit it with some clear nail polish... or paint

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Fortunately, small painted parts are a hell of a lot cheaper to have repainted than large ones. If you have the money and care enough about it, get an estimate at a body shop.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Fortunately, small painted parts are a hell of a lot cheaper to have repainted than large ones. If you have the money and care enough about it, get an estimate at a body shop.
I was thinking that as well.

I wonder if there is any armor that would cover that up.

Sorry bud

·
Registered
335 Posts
Peel back/remove the paint to where it is good contact with the metal. Sand and primer it (seal it from the elements).

Get it painted at your leisure.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
And more importantly, check the down force adjustment on your garage door. The door should have reversed before it caused that much damage.
Jeeps can be repaired, not so much for squished kids and pets.

·
Registered
461 Posts
And more importantly, check the down force adjustment on your garage door. The door should have reversed before it caused that much damage.
Jeeps can be repaired, not so much for squished kids and pets.
Good idea.

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
Ouch that's a bummer!

I would recommend picking off the loose paint chips, sanding it down and then spraying some primer on there. Just so it's not exposed bare metal. If it's possible you could also purchase the Barricade Tailgate Top Edge Body Shield Decal to cover up the damage after you prime it. That way you don't have a noticeable spot where the damage was.

Check it out and let me know if you have any other questions!

http://www.extremeterrain.com/barricade-body-shield-decal-jk-j103864.html

-Jake

·
Registered
728 Posts
As others have suggested peel the loose paint off and scuff up the area with some sandpaper and prime but also then paint it over with any spray paint or color you want, don't leave it just primered for an extended period of time as primer is porous and you could get rust start developing under the bare primer.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
I was thinking that as well.

I wonder if there is any armor that would cover that up.

Sorry bud
When I had a buddy roll back down a hill, hitting his spare on a tree crunching his tailgate, he replaced it with a white one that he found for cheap. His jeep was Mango. We painted it with the same color Monstaliner and honestly you couldnt see it unless you were looking close. I know for a fact that this picture was taken shortly after we lined the tailgate.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Unless you are going to leave it for a year before getting it fixed, I wouldn't do much... Even if it gets a bit of surface rust. they are going to remove that door, everything on it, and prep and paint the whole thing.

If you are going to fix it yourself, Google 'paint match repairs' and you can order kits with primer, the factory colour, and clear coat and spray it yourself. Depends if you are a perfectionist or not. Do-it-yourself for $100 or body shop for $500+.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Ouch that's a bummer!

I would recommend picking off the loose paint chips, sanding it down and then spraying some primer on there. Just so it's not exposed bare metal. If it's possible you could also purchase the Barricade Tailgate Top Edge Body Shield Decal to cover up the damage after you prime it. That way you don't have a noticeable spot where the damage was.

Check it out and let me know if you have any other questions!

Barricade Wrangler Rear Door Top Body Shield Decal J103864 (07-17 Wrangler JK) - Free Shipping

-Jake
This is what I would do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the Barricade decal would be a great option. Plus it would prevent this from happening in the future. $20 is much cheaper than repairing the paint.

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
I think the Barricade decal would be a great option. Plus it would prevent this from happening in the future. $20 is much cheaper than repairing the paint.
I wouldn't say it would prevent this sort of situation from happening in the future, but for sure it'll take care of the cracked/chipped paint that's there right now! Also it'll prevent any future scratches on the top of the tailgate caused from loading things in and out of the back of your Jeep.

-Jake

1 - 17 of 17 Posts