·
Registered
105 Posts
Well done, great hack/mod!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Couldn't resist...

I couldn’t resist this great mod, so I installed it today. It took about an hour start to finish, and was well worth the effort in my opinion. Thanks to kipkay for originally posting this mod. Gotta love this forum!

All I used for parts:
- garage remote control
- 2 ea wires (about 12” ea)
- Momentary pushbutton from Amazon (SPST, N.O., flush mount)

Tools:
- drill, with a small bit for wire access from remote, and a 5/8” (16mm) bit for pushbutton.
- soldering iron and solder
- tape to secure wires to outside of remote housing

My garage opener is small, so I didn’t need to use a different housing. I took it apart, soldered a wire to each side of the remote’s pushbutton on the circuit board, and ran the wires out of two pre-drilled holes. I taped them in place so they would stay put.

I chose a different location for the button and circuit board than the OP because I felt that the signal to my opener would be better if it was mounted up high. I took the corner plastic piece off of the A pillar next to the sun visor. This was done by undoing two Torx 20 bolts holding the visor, one small plastic screw and anchor, and pulled down to release the Christmas tree plastic fastener where it attached to the roll bar.

The remote fit easily in the space, and I was able to find a good spot to install the pushbutton, close to the uConnect microphone. Note that when the battery eventually dies, you must take the plastic piece off again to replace it.

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
I couldn’t resist this great mod, so I installed it today. It took about an hour start to finish, and was well worth the effort in my opinion. Thanks to kipkay for originally posting this mod. Gotta love this forum! All I used for parts: - garage remote control - 2 ea wires (about 12” ea) - Momentary pushbutton from Amazon (SPST, N.O., flush mount) Tools: - drill, with a small bit for wire access from remote, and a 5/8” (16mm) bit for pushbutton. - soldering iron and solder - tape to secure wires to outside of remote housing My garage opener is small, so I didn’t need to use a different housing. I took it apart, soldered a wire to each side of the remote’s pushbutton on the circuit board, and ran the wires out of two pre-drilled holes. I taped them in place so they would stay put. I chose a different location for the button and circuit board than the OP because I felt that the signal to my opener would be better if it was mounted up high. I took the corner plastic piece off of the A pillar next to the sun visor. This was done by undoing two Torx 20 bolts holding the visor, one small plastic screw and anchor, and pulled down to release the Christmas tree plastic fastener where it attached to the roll bar. The remote fit easily in the space, and I was able to find a good spot to install the pushbutton, close to the uConnect microphone. Note that when the battery eventually dies, you must take the plastic piece off again to replace it.
FYI....There is a place in the padding around the roll bar, to the left of your head that you can tuck your "Genie" or equivalent garage door opener without modifying your opener.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I installed a used home link unit flush in the area above the rear view mirror. Also looks factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
439 Posts
I did that last year on my TJ. Everything is concealed in the black trim piece that runs across the top of the windshield/behind the visors. control unit and two momentary switches for two garages. black buttons on black trim above the drivers visor. very well hidden.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I did that last year on my TJ. Everything is concealed in the black trim piece that runs across the top of the windshield/behind the visors. control unit and two momentary switches for two garages. black buttons on black trim above the drivers visor. very well hidden.
Any chance of a pic?

·
Registered
646 Posts
FYI....There is a place in the padding around the roll bar, to the left of your head that you can tuck your "Genie" or equivalent garage door opener without modifying your opener.
I did a combination of button mod and this spot for the opener. I figured I did not want to pull the trim apart when it comes time to change the battery, so I just soldered some long wires and ran them under the rollbar padding to a button next to the mic. Just needed a round file to make a spot for the wires to pass thru and snapped the opener case back together. Also put the opener in a zip lock bag to try and keep it dry.

·
Registered
439 Posts
here is a pic of where my buttons are. above the driver side visor on the black trim piece at the top of the windshield. i have a spod so my trim piece is metal but i had it in the same spot on the black plastic oem trim piece before the spod. the wires are connected to the remote which is hidden behind the trim piece right under the buttons. it doesn't work as good there as it did when that piece of trim was plastic so i plan to run some longer wires and mount the remote somewhere behind the dash.

·
Registered
360 Posts
here is a pic of where my buttons are. above the driver side visor on the black trim piece at the top of the windshield. i have a spod so my trim piece is metal but i had it in the same spot on the black plastic oem trim piece before the spod. the wires are connected to the remote which is hidden behind the trim piece right under the buttons. it doesn't work as good there as it did when that piece of trim was plastic so i plan to run some longer wires and mount the remote somewhere behind the dash.

Very cool. I just decided to take the easy way right now and use velco to place the garage door opener behind the drivers visor on the same OEM trim piece.

Might consider shoving it into the roll bar padding since there is also on opening on it, so no need to cut.

Thank you.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've got all the stuff to do this. Just trying to figure out where to mount the button.

I do like the upper A pillar as b.lister mentioned but I have some of the metal grab bars installed. Installing them wasn't that bad but getting the bolts to line up was a bit of a pain. Not sure I want to take it back off now.
And all I have that's a spare is a three button garage remote (one of the small ones). But I onl use one button. Also seems like a waste.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts