Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
_____O|||||||O_____
108 Posts
The seal is probably broken. Go to AutoZone or some auto parts store and buy a new gas cap. Then after you put the new gas cap on, disconect the positive battery terminal for 5 mins to reset the light. This should fix your problem.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
According to the manual: gASCAP
If the vehicle diagnostic system determines that the fuel
filler cap is loose, improperly installed, or damaged, a
“gASCAP” message will display in the odometer display
area. Tighten the fuel filler cap properly and press the
TRIP ODOMETER button to turn off the message. If the
problem continues, the message will appear the next time
the vehicle is started.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i just bought the billett gas cap and had no probs.3 weeks later the gas cap light came on.the cap is new.i took it off and checked the seal.it was still correctly in place.the seal did show some flat areas.i ran my finger around the seal several times and tried to remove the flat areas.it was still on.i pulled into a auto zone and got a new cap.when i cranked the jeep back up the light went out.i paid almost $70 for the billet cap and $17 for the new one.i will just hang on to it.any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
disconect the positive battery terminal for 5 mins to reset the light. This should fix your problem.
Do not diconnect the positive cable. Always disconnect the negitive cable. Disconnecting the positive cable can cause a voltage spike that can be harmful to the PCM.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also when I'm pumping gas I can't ever squeeze handle wide open. Will cut off so I always have to pump real slow. Gas cap cause that or venting more than likely?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts