Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm sure a lot of fellow Jeep owners have had this problem, so have I. Seems like on several occasions after I fill up my gas tank, I keep forgetting to put the gas cap back on. So I'll just say, is there a solution for this, potentially like a sensor or something I can install, sorta like a seat belt *beep beep" sound to let know the gas cap is off so that this issue can be resolved permanently in the near future. Any help would be grateful. Thank you.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
As I'm sure a lot of fellow Jeep owners have had this problem, so have I. Seems like on several occasions after I fill up my gas tank, I keep forgetting to put the gas cap back on. So I'll just say, is there a solution for this, potentially like a sensor or something I can install, sorta like a seat belt *beep beep" sound to let know the gas cap is off so that this issue can be resolved permanently in the near future. Any help would be grateful. Thank you.
A locking gas cap cover, requiring a key........hard to get back in and start up the Jeep if your keys are still hanging from the gas cap cover. Also, your cap isn't on a plastic lanyard attached to the filler spout?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A locking gas cap cover, requiring a key........hard to get back in and start up the Jeep if your keys are still hanging from the gas cap cover. Also, your cap isn't on a plastic lanyard attached to the filler spout?
It is attached to the plastic lanyard, I just keep forgetting to screw it back in after filling up. I've wanted to get a locking gas cap for so long, maybe now I got a good reason to :bop:

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
It is attached to the plastic lanyard, I just keep forgetting to screw it back in after filling up. I've wanted to get a locking gas cap for so long, maybe now I got a good reason to :bop:
I intentionally leave the gas door key hanging from the lock while I fill up. That way I have to remember to take out the key and close the gas door, meaning I have to put the cap back on. It's hell getting old. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,706 Posts
I haven't had that problem, yet. Mine hangs alongside my Jeep when I fill it up, so forgetting is nearly impossible.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
First world problems I suppose :)

Just get a normal fuel door. You don't need a locking one, not worth the hassle unless you're in the hood. I think you have a 2 door so this is what you'd want:

https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82214789.html

Reactions: Bobnh

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I actually had a gas cap that would come off occassionally on its own. Replaced it with another OEM cap and haven't had the problem since.

Are you sure you're forgetting to put it back on, or is it coming off on its own?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
I actually had a gas cap that would come off occassionally on its own. Replaced it with another OEM cap and haven't had the problem since.

Are you sure you're forgetting to put it back on, or is it coming off on its own?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
:)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Do you forget to put your soxs on before your shoes too? lol sorry couldn't resist.
Maybe set an alarm on your smart phone when you get out to get gas? hahahaha
Sometimes I have problems drinking water without opening my mouth first and my shirt gets all wet, is there some type of "alarm" I could buy to warn my mouth to open?
Just kidding around, but really, really?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Thinking about the fact I'm dealing with flammable fluid and the vapors keeps me in the moment enough to finish the task by containing those vapors.
Sorry to be harsh but I've seen what happens when fuel meets even a spark.

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
You aren’t using your phone when fueling up by any chance?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Have your mom or dad call you while you're filling up and remind you to put the cap back on.
Don't stop to fill up, run it dry and call roadside assistance to come fill you up?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
You already have a gascap light in the dash that should gonoff if the cap is not on tight, seems it would work if off too.
Perhaps hang in from a lanyard around your neck while filling up?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
528 Posts
Take Uber.
Ride a bicycle.
Bum a ride with a stranger.
Just don't go anywhere and you'll never have to gas up again!
Is there an alarm that will remind me to put the lid down after I wiz, I'm tired of getting yelled at by the wife! lol
I'm sorry, but I can't believe we're even having this dialog to begin with?
Are you a Millennial by any chance?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts