Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2010 is giving an error message about the gas cap.. I tried taking it off and putting it back on more than once. It is not stripped and I hear the clic when I tighten it. I still am getting a false reading. Any ideas how to clear this message or is there really something else going on. Thanks H.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Take off the neg thermal of the battery (with the Jeep off) and touch the - and the + together for a few seconds

·
Registered
879 Posts
I've had to replace gas caps on both my 07 and 12 JKs. They were giving the error message and coming loose. Go get and OEM gas cap from the dealer and your problem will be solved. The error will go away by itself once you have a good seal again. I strongly suggest not getting an after market gas cap - stick with OEM Mopar.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/jeep-jk-evap-error-fixes-found-1511025.html

I agree to stick with oem, mopar parts for sure in this area. My experience was not the gas cap. Can it hurt to try it first, no, it's inexpensive and your rig is 10 years old so I consider it a maintenance item anyway. I would look at the valve under the hood first though. If you remove it ""five minute job in Sunday clothes" and can blow through it, it's bad. Next is the one on the evap canister. Maybe 15 minute job, didn't even have to jack my jeep up. Get a new gasket here. The other issue is you could have a leak in the tubing. Some have had the tubing wear through under the hood near the battery or if you hit it off roading underneath along the frame. You didn't mention if it just started randomly or did you have anyone work on your jeep recently. Sometimes connections get disconnected or lines get kinked. You can replace the cap and the two valves, "the original poster did an excellent job with part numbers for you", and be in it for a fraction what a dealer will charge you to diagnose it. Clear the codes after the fix/fixes and if they don't come back after 100 miles you solved it. If you don't have a scan tool just disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for a minute to clear it.. If there is still an issue a competent shop will do a smoke test to find your leak. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
It may not be a gas cap. It may be a large evap leak that is found after a refueling.

The PCM will do an evap test after a refueling. Most likely when a large leak is found after a refueling it's due to a gas cap so the PCM initiates a "gas cap" msg on the cluster. But it may not be the gas cap.

·
Registered
726 Posts
my 2010 is giving an error message about the gas cap.. I tried taking it off and putting it back on more than once. It is not stripped and I hear the clic when I tighten it. I still am getting a false reading. Any ideas how to clear this message or is there really something else going on. Thanks H.
Replace the cap with a new quality cap, yours could be leaking.

·
Registered
38 Posts
+1 On replacing the gas cap. Clicking doesn't mean a thing. The cap on my 2016 JKUR crapped out after 2+ years and it was clicking like it was brand new.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
happy to report back that the problem has been resolved. In this case Dusty was correct. I disconnected the neg on the bat , reconnected and was good to go.

Again thanks to all the guys who replied.

Wish you a Happy , Healthy and Prosperous trouble free New Year

Best
Howard

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
happy to report back that the problem has been resolved. In this case Dusty was correct. I disconnected the neg on the bat , reconnected and was good to go.

Best
Howard
Well, you cleared the code for sure. but doubtful you solved your problem. Time will tell.

·
Super Moderator
15,450 Posts

Best
Howard
I have a NAPA cap on mine now, works fine... But it's likely in my opinion that you haven't solved the issue and your message will be back. Another item that can cause this message is the leak detector pump which is attached to the evap canister. It's also a very inexpensive and easy item to change out.

·
Registered
879 Posts

Best
Howard
Well, you cleared the code for sure. but doubtful you solved your problem. Time will tell.
Ditto ^^^

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was having the same problem with my 2004 Wrangler. It kept throwing the "456" code. It would happen a couple times a year. Was told it was the gas cap by the dealer. Changed it but eventually it would 456 again. Went up and asked my local mechanic about it and he told me to put a light coating of Vaseline around the cap gasket. I did, left the code on, and in about 3 days the code went away and never came back. I just kept coating the gasket on the cap with Vaseline every 5 or 6 months.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts